CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
This is skilled work operating a combination materials transporter and mobile-concrete mixing plant mounted on a straight-in-line truck chassis or on a semi-trailer. An employee in this class operates a number of controls at job sites in order to produce concrete of required mix and slump on a continuous or intermittent basis.
Work is performed under the supervision of an administrative superior. Work assignments are stable in nature and are carried out in accordance with instruction and established routines. Employees in this class are responsible for the safe and efficient operation of specialized automotive equipment used for the job site production of concrete. Work involves conditions which can be only partially controlled and may require moderate physical effort.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Supervises the loading of cement, sand, and stone into vehicle storage bins; fills vehicle tanks with water.
- Drives to location indicated on daily assignment sheet or where dispatched by radio.
- At job site, sets and checks position of water tank valves; checks all operating controls such as clutches, valves, and levers to assure correct positioning; sets cements meter at zero position; lowers and positions sugar mixer trough to affect in position; adjusts throttle to proper r.p.m range and engages main clutch to begin production.
- Notes color and consistency of concrete being produced; adjusts throttle and water feed lever to obtain desired design strength; checks operation of vibrators to insure that all batch components are being continuously and uniformly fed into mix.
- On a regular basis lubricates all mechanisms of the mixing plant; cleans the cement metering wheel; checks diameter of auger flighting, tensions on v-belt excessive wear; checks oil level in hydraulic oil tank.
- On a regular basis tests discharge rate of cement metering wheel; checks ingredient proportioning mechanism of conveyor belt; checks and cleans glass tubes in water tank and glass of flow meter.
- Inspects vehicle for loose parts, damaged or worn tires, proper air pressure in tires, and other items affecting its safe operation; washes and services vehicle with water, gas, and oil; performs first echelon maintenance and makes minor running repairs.
- Keeps trips records or logs; reports defects in vehicle operated, accidents, traffic violations, or damage to the vehicle.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- the component parts and operating principals of a combination materials transporter and mobile concrete mixing plant.
- the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the work.
- principles and practices of mechanical maintenance as they apply to a mobile concrete mixing plant.
- the traffic laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- the geography of the city.
- the operation of a concretemobile on or off the highway in a safe and efficient manner, in traffic, and under adverse climatic conditions.
- service the basic vehicle and to make minor running repairs and adjustments.
- understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for test.)
- Ability to read and write English.
- Three years of experience operating motor vehicles, including one year operating moderately heavy automotive equipment and one year operating the heavier, more complex types of automotive equipment.
Or any equivalent combination of acceptable training and experience.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this class.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND/OR CERTIFICATES
- Possession of a valid proper class motor vehicle operator's license as issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania prior to the scheduled examination and during tenure of employment in the class.
PAY RANGE: 14
CSC - 3/1972 ; Ad Board - 4/1972
CSC - 5/1992 ; Ad Board - 8/1992
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 7C31