CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
EQUIPMENT OPERATOR 2
(Earthmoving: Tracked )
(Earthmoving: Wheeled )
( Flusher )
(Special Purpose )
( Tandem Axle )
( Wrecker -Tilt Bed )
This is skilled work operating the more complex types of automotive equipment. Employees in this class operate single chassis automotive equipment with accessories that require the manipulation of several controls which govern a limited range of possible movements non-simultaneously with the operation of the basic vehicle, special purpose automotive equipment typically designed and built to accomplish a single purpose that requires the manipulation of a limited number of controls which govern a limited range of possible movements simultaneously with the operation of any combination of truck or tractor and semi or full trailer over 15 feet long. Work may include light or heavy physical labor when not operating equipment and driving equipment to, and its operation at the worksite.
Work is performed under the close supervision of a Crew Chief or Group Leader. Work assignments are stable in nature and are carried out in accordance with instructions and established routines. Employees in this class are responsible for the safe and efficient operation of equipment to provide a variety of services. Work involves conditions which can only be partially controlled.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
IN ALL SPECIALTIES
- Inspects vehicle for loose parts, damaged or worn tires or tracks, proper air pressure in tires and other items affecting its safe operation; washes and services vehicle with water, gas and oil; performs first echelon maintenance and makes minor running repairs.
- Observes instruments while the vehicle is in operation and takes routine corrective action if malfunction is indicated.
- Keeps trip records or logs; reports defects in the vehicle operated, accidents, traffic violations or damage to the vehicle
- Performs related work a required.
- Operates tracked earthmoving equipment such as a small crawler tractor with a bulldozer blade; grades earth or refuse for roads, road shoulders, landfill or other purposes.
- Operates wheeled earthmoving, road-building and other related equipment such as road rollers, pulvi-mixers, permanently mounted reversible blade and rotary snow plows and snow plows with large outriggers, truck overcab loaders, and small front end loaders; drives vehicle to worksite unless it is transported in other vehicle; makes settings of the attachments if required and performs such operations as loading earth, gravel or other loose materials onto trucks, smoothing and packing hot asphalt on road construction or resurfacing projects, removing snow from streets or runways and loading snow onto trucks for removal depending on the vehicle operated.
SPECIAL PURPOSE SPECIALTY
- Operates a street flushing truck equipped with side and front nozzles; adjusts pressure of spray depending on street and driving conditions; fills water tank from available hydrants; flushes other sites such as runways and work areas as required.
TANDEM AXLE SPECIALTY
- Operates special purpose equipment typically designed and built for a single purpose such as mechanical brooms, tree trunks and ice resurfacers; performs such operations as sweeping streets, removing trees and tree stumps, loading heavy objects onto trucks and resurfacing ice in ice rinks, depending on the equipment operated.
- Operates such equipment as heavy duty trucks having multiple rear axles and used to haul hot asphaltic mixes from plants to worksites; positions vehicle at plant to permit filling with hot asphalt or residue; drives to designated location to deposit materials for paving or to unload residue for burial.
WRECKER-TILT BED SPECIALTY
- Operates such equipment as heavy duty container trucks of various sizes, trucks or tractors with full or semi-trailers over 15 feet long, winches trucks and bookmobiles; loads and unloads material which may require the use of skids and power winches; checks material loaded or delivered against various types of records; transports material to locations designated; obtains signatures of receiving individuals where required.
- Operates such equipment as heavy duty wrecker trucks (either single or tandem axle) or tilt bed trucks; rights overturned vehicles which may require the use of movable or non-movable booms and/or power winches; tows disabled vehicles to designated locations; positions vehicles in work area for repair; tows abandoned vehicles to designated locations; rigs cables to vehicles to right or tow vehicle according to accepted procedures.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- the component parts and operating principles of the automotive equipment in the area of specialization
- automotive equipment operation in the area of specialization
- the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the work
- the traffic laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- the geography of the City
- the operation of automotive equipment in the area of specialization and to make minor running repairs and adjustments
- learn the geography of the area served
- service the types of automotive equipment in the area of specialization and to make minor running repairs and adjustments
- perform heavy manual labor for prolonged periods under adverse climatic conditions
- learn the methods and techniques of rigging in the Wrecker-Tilt Bed specialty
- understand and carry out written and oral instructions
- ability to read and write English
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 12/00.)
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- One year of Equipment Operator I experience.
- One year of experience operating a single chassis truck or moderately heavy automotive equipment.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND/OR CERTIFICATES
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of
a position in this class.
- Possession of a valid proper class motor vehicle operator's license as issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania prior to the scheduled examination and during tenure of employment in the class.
PAY RANGE: 12
CSC: 1/53, Ad Board: 2/53
Latest Spec. Revision:
CSC: 9/00, Ad Board: 12/00
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 7C12