CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
EXCAVATION CREW CHIEF
This is excavation and sewer repair work at the crew chief level supervising a specialized crew
engaged in excavating and repairing sewer lines using heavy equipment. An employee in this class
supervises the excavation of sewer lines located at a considerable depth below ground level, requiring the
construction and placement of extensive shoring. Included in the work is directing and participating in
the repair of damaged sewer lines. Because of the nature of the work, assignments may be performed
outside of regularly scheduled working hours. Work is performed under the direction of a Sewer
Maintenance Crew Chief II.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Reviews work orders and sewer plans to determine the size, direction of flow, depth and probable
location of damage in the sewer line, and the location of other utility lines; inspects site to determine
where to begin excavation; checks the location of gas, water, electric and telephone lines prior to
excavating; plans excavation to achieve best approach with least obstruction; marks proposed excavation
lines; determines the materials and equipment necessary to complete the work; makes arrangements to
obtain necessary materials and equipment.
- Determines best placement of reflective cones and barricades to set up safety perimeter; arranges
for closing streets if necessary; redirects traffic around excavation site; ensures that crew members use
proper safety equipment and procedures; enforces safety regulations and practices.
- Directs the use of power and manual tools such as jackhammers, picks, and shovels to excavate;
directs the use of heavy earthmoving equipment; directs the placement and installation of shoring and
decking; supervises removal of earth, asphalt and concrete from area of damage; monitors excavation to
locate unidentified utility lines.
- Directs the repair of damaged sewer; directs removal of damaged pipe or bricks and placement
of new materials; determines best approach based on location and extent of damage; directs blockage of
sewers if necessary; arranges for flushing of sewer if necessary.
- Directs restoration of excavated area; arranges for steel plating over excavation site if necessary;
directs crew engaged in backfilling around repaired sewer; determines necessary compaction and height
of backfill; may supervise the restoration of concrete footways if necessary, including the construction
of wooden forms, the mixing and pouring of concrete, and the finishing of walkways.
- Keeps records of work performed, materials used, and employees' time; makes oral and written
reports on conditions encountered before and during excavation; may make rough sketches of excavation
site and work performed.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- the methods, procedures and practices used in deep excavation, including the proper installation
of shoring and decking.
- the uses and limitations of the materials, tools and equipment used in deep excavation.
- the methods, materials, tools and equipment used in sewer maintenance and repair work.
- the occupational hazards present and safety precautions used in excavation and sewer repair work.
- the general physical layout, component structures and appurtenances of the municipal sewer
- the methods, practices, materials and tools used in the brickmason trade, particularly as they
apply to sewer maintenance and repair work.
- supervise the work of a small crew of employees engaged in deep excavation and sewer repair
- read, interpret and apply sewer construction blueprints and written directions.
- prepare rough sketches and reports of repairs.
- detect and direct correction of structural defects and unsafe conditions in shoring, excavations,
and sewer structures.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the
minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests.
Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience
requirements as approved on 10/87.)
Or any equivalent combination of education and experience determined to be acceptable by the
- Education equivalent to completion of the tenth school grade.
- Four years of experience in the construction, repair and/or maintenance of sewers, two years of
which have been working as a member of a crew performing deep excavation work involving the
construction of extensive shoring.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this class.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS, AND/OR CERTIFICATES
- Possession of a valid proper class motor vehicle operator's license as issued by the Common-
wealth of Pennsylvania prior to appointment and during tenure of employment as an Excavation Crew
PAY RANGE: 16
Class Established: 10/1969
Latest Spec. Revision: 10/1987
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 7B31