CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
SEWER MAINTENANCE INSPECTOR
This is maintenance work, inspecting and making minor repairs to sewers, inlets and related structures. Work is performed in support of the Water Department's sewer maintenance program, and involves very disagreeable conditions, unpredictable hazards and strenuous physical effort.
Work is performed under the close supervision of a crew chief.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Crawls through sewers as small as 18 inches; crawls from manhole to manhole or for pre-determined distances; inspects sewer and lateral interiors for cracks, ratholes and blockages; observes flow of dye through sewers and laterals; reports defective conditions and related sewer information.
- Crawls into inlets and under traps; clears traps using hand tools, water hoses and by hand; places debris in buckets.
- Repairs small sewers by patching cracks and holes with cement; replaces broken or missing bricks; assists tradesworkers performing similar tasks in larger sewers; mixes mortar for sewer repairs.
- Clears sewers using hand tools, water hoses and by hand.
- Investigates cave-ins to obtain information used in determining cause.
- Performs laboring tasks as a member of a crew when not crawling in sewers or inlets.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- the methods, materials and tools used in sewer maintenance and repair work
- the occupational hazards and safety precautions required in sewer maintenance and repair work
- the component structures and appurtenances of a municipal sewer system
- performing sewer maintenance and repair tasks in cramped quarters
- crawl through sewers as small as 18 inches in diameter for distances up to 200 feet
- detect sewer defects, flaws and weaknesses and to estimate the extent of repairs required
- make accurate, oral reports of inspection findings
- perform sewer repair work under very disagreeable conditions
- understand and follow oral instructions
- interact with the public in a courteous and tactful manner
- read and write English
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
(The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 09/02.)
- One year of laboring experience.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this class.
PAY RANGE: 11
Class Established: 1/53
Latest Spec. Revision:
CSC: 6/02, Ad Board: 9/02
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 7B21