CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
EMERGENCY WATER DISTRIBUTION REPAIR WORKER
This is emergency water distribution field work responding to emergency equipment
breakdowns and customer complaints. Employees in this class investigate complaints, perform
routine distribution repairs and in emergency situations perform either temporary or preliminary
repair work until permanent repairs can be initiated. Work is performed on a rotating shift
during which employees have the additional responsibility for hydrant and valve repair and water
main pressure checks when not engaged in emergency repairs. Work is performed under the
close supervision of a technical superior.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK
- Receives emergency complaints of broken water distribution mains and equipment via
written work order or municipal radio; drives to location and investigates situation to determine
appropriate action; reads plates, plans, or blueprints as necessary to locate valves; closes valves
to secure a complete or partial shutdown of service.
- Informs residents deprived of water, as the result of water main breaks, the cause of such
inconvenience and estimates down time; investigates complaints of rusty or dirty water resulting
from main breaks; flushes distribution system by turning on fire hydrants to rid system of rusty
or dirty water; pumps water form basements flooded by breaks in water mains or backed up
- Discusses complaints with residents to determine nature, extent and responsibility; issues
notice of violation of plumbing code to resident whose plumbing connection does not meet water
code and ordinances; may refer work order to another department or unit or may resolve
problem at time of inspection; collects checks or money orders and/or restores water service by
operating curb stop in water bill delinquency cases.
- Takes readings on discharge and suction gauges at fires of two alarms or above; takes
action to maintain adequate hydrant pressures.
- Removes and replaces, during night and weekend emergency situations, leaking or
otherwise seriously malfunctioning water meters; determines property owner water code
- Inspects and makes minor repairs to valves, such as packing or replacing stems.
- Services truck with water, gasoline and oil; observes instruments while vehicle is in
operation, and takes routine corrective measures if malfunction is indicated.
- Maintains records pertaining to valve operations, water meters and assigned vehicle
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS
- the practices governing the operation of water distribution systems and their component
- the methods, materials, tools and practices used in the installation, repair and
maintenance of water mains and equipment.
- the hazards and safety precautions involved in the work.
- the care and use of tools used in the work.
- detect and locate breaks and other flaws in water distribution systems and to determine
- read and interpret plans, plates, and blueprints appropriate to water distribution systems.
- understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- maintain records.
- write reports.
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and the public.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING
AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement
represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject
applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based
on training and experience requirements as approved on 4/86.)
Or any equivalent combination of education and experience to be determined to be
acceptable by the Personnel Department.
- Education equivalent to completion of the eighth school grade.
- Two years of experience in the installation, repair or maintenance of water mains and
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions
required of a position in this class.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS, AND/OR CERTIFICATES
- Possession of a valid proper class motor vehicle operator's license as issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania prior to appointment and during tenure of employment as an Emergency Water Distribution Repair Worker.
PAY RANGE: 11
Class Established: 5/1960
Latest Spec. Revision: 4/1986
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 7B13