CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
STREET REPAIR SUPERVISOR
(Highway Maintenance )
( Traffic Sign )
This is specialized supervisory and technical work directing through subordinate Street Repair Crew Chief's the activities of a group of semi-skilled and/or unskilled employees engaged in the repair and maintenance of city streets. Of major significance to this work is the supervision through subordinate Crew Chiefs of a number of maintenance crews, the establishment of effective working relationships with associates, and the responsibility for dealing tactfully with the public. Assignments are carried out in accordance with standard maintenance practices and general work instructions. An employee has controlling responsibility for the street repair crews in an assigned highway district or traffic shop.
Work is performed under the general supervision of a technical superior.
ALLOCATING FACTORS: (The following conditions must be met for a position to be allocated to this class.)
- A position in this class must supervise through subordinate Street Repair Crew Chiefs the activities of semiskilled and labor crews engaged in specialized street maintenance and repair.
- The work must be performed either in the Highways Division or the Traffic Sign Shop within the Streets Department.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Makes unannounced visits to work sites to check work in process and completed for conformance to prescribed standards; consults with crew chiefs and points out methods to improve or expedite work; points out areas of non- conformance and recommends methods of correction.
- Investigates complaints pertaining to street repair and maintenance and claims of city-damaged private property, and makes recommendations based on findings.
- Visits sites where emergency situations may exist checking on type of emergency conditions, the responsible party, and corrective actions needed; informs other city departments or agencies of conditions that exist that need corrective measures; assigns crew chiefs to make conditions safe until corrective measures can be made.
- Insures that equipment and supplies are in proper working condition or in full supply; prepares and submits various reports to superiors on type and amount of work performed, conditions of equipment and supplies, and complaints; investigates and prepares reports on industrial injuries and automotive accidents.
- Initiates action against employees for infractions of city and departmental rules and regulations; confers with street repair crew chief to obtain information relating to such incidents; meets with departmental and union officials regarding disciplinary matters.
- Performs related work as required.
HIGHWAY MAINTENANCE SPECIALTY
TRAFFIC SIGN SPECIALTY
- Schedules work assignments for street repair crews; Inspects streets for worn paving, potholes and other conditions; makes listings of streets needing repair and assigns them to crews for correction.
- Directs snow removal and clearance and salting operations in an assigned district.
- Records cost of labor and materials for repair projects.
- Determines composition of traffic sign crews and oversees work assignments.
- Notifies external and internal personnel regarding fleet related issues; resolves issues with fleet maintenance supervisory regarding vehicle availability, maintenance, repair and status of all traffic engineering vehicles; informs streets department fleet liaison where problems arise; schedules vehicle maintenance and repair with fleet maintenance supervisors.
- Analyzes, interprets and reorganizes various sketches, maps, drawings, plans and specification provided by the engineering staff for implementation by traffic sign crews.
- Develops work assignments for platform and custodial employees to ensure full productivity.
- Assures relinquished signs are appropriately packaged for refurbishing contract.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 8/99.)
Any equivalent combination of acceptable training and experience.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND/OR CERTIFICATES
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of
a position in this class.
- Possession of a valid proper class motor vehicle operator's license as issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania prior to appointment and during tenure of employment as a Streets Repair Supervisor.
PAY RANGE: 19
Class Established: 1/53
Latest Spec. Revision:
CSC: 6/99, Ad Board: 8/99
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 7A42