CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
STREET REPAIR CREW CHIEF 1
( Traffic Sign )
(Highway Maintenance )
This is specialized street maintenance and repair work at the first supervisory level. An employee in this class supervises and may participate in the work of a small crew of semi-skilled and/or unskilled personnel engaged in street repair and safety activities either in highway maintenance or traffic sign installation/maintenance.
Employees in this class must adhere to standard city and PENNDOT maintenance practices and general work instructions. The employee has controlling responsibility for the completion of assigned maintenance and repair tasks. Work is performed under the supervision of a technical superior.
ALLOCATING FACTORS: (The following conditions must be met for a position to be allocated to this class.)
- A position in this class must supervise the activities of semiskilled and labor crews engaged in specialized street maintenance and repair.
- The work must be performed either in the Highways Division or the Traffic Sign Shop within the Streets Department.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Assigns job tasks giving any special instructions needed, requests extra materials, equipment, or personnel from supervisor when necessary to complete job. Observes work in progress and upon completion for conformance to operational practices and standards, insures that work area is clean before leaving work site.
- Performs related work as required.
HIGHWAY MAINTENANCE SPECIALTY
TRAFFIC SIGN SPECIALTY
- Receives work assignments and schedule for street maintenance and repair work from street repair supervisor; gathers men, materials and equipment needed to head concrete, asphalt, emergency or all purpose crew; inspects work which includes plumbers' and city ditches, potholes, cave-in, "push-ups", cracks, depressions, "wear-outs", etc. and determines corrective measures; sets up work to reduce interference with traffic and places traffic cones or barricades to insure safety precautions; prepares daily report of the time and cost of labor, material and equipment used to perform work.
- Directs crew in the performance of miscellaneous tasks including the removal of debris from city land, the cleaning of inlets, the cutting of grass on traffic islands, the resetting of granite blocks in city streets, the repairing of concrete traffic islands, the removal of fallen trees from the traffic arteries, and the cleaning of oil spills.
- Participates in the ice and snow removal program when directed; directs crew in salting and cindering, when necessary, of streets, highways and bridges; removes snow and ice from crosswalks, inlets, steps, traffic signs and from around fire hydrants; erects snow fences to prevent snow drifts, etc.
- Interprets traffic sign work orders in the form of drawing and/or written instructions in order to install and place traffic control and regulatory signs properly and in accordance with PENNDOT regulations and City policy.
- Determines if traffic control signs or regulatory signs must be removed, straightened, aligned or replaced due to graffiti, age, or damage; directly the installation of new signs, makes decision if additional action is warranted; prepares sketch indicating problem location unit.
- Receives work assignments from Street Repair Crew Chief II; determines priority of work orders in order to establish most efficient route to complete daily work assignments; prepares route sheet.
- Assigns, supervises and participates in the work of the crew; participates in the operation and maintenance of jackhammer, poinjar, sledgehammer, banding machine and all other tools pertinent to traffic sign maintenance installation.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 8/99.)
Any equivalent combination of acceptable training and experience.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND/OR CERTIFICATES
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of
a position in this class.
- Possession of a valid proper class motor vehicle operator's license as issues by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania prior to appointment and during tenure of appointment as a Streets Repair Crew Chief 1 if required by work assignment.
PAY RANGE: 12
Class Established: 4/55
Latest Spec. Revision:
CSC: 6/99, Ad Board: 8/99
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 7A40