CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
ASPHALT PAVING CREW CHIEF
This is supervisory asphalt paving work, directing the activities of a crew consisting of skilled,
semiskilled and labor employees engaged in asphalt installation, resurfacing, and repair work to City streets
and thoroughfares. Employees in this class supervises the operations of specialized, mobile street
reconstruction and repair, and related equipment, and directs other personnel in the preparation and application
of asphalt to the required areas. Work includes ensuring adequate drainage of the finished site and proper
blending of old and new asphalt. Accounting for water and sewer main boxes and performing proper planning
for the work site are significant aspects of the work. Work is performed under the direction of a technical
ALLOCATING FACTORS: (The following conditions must be met for a position to be approved for
- A position in this class must supervise the activities of skilled, semiskilled and labor crews engaged in
asphalt street resurfacing projects.
- The work must be performed in the Highways Division of the Streets Department.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Visits work sites to determine the scope of asphalt resurfacing projects; determines the quantity of
materials; makes arrangements for the acquisition of specialized mobile street reconstruction and repair
equipment to be used on assignments; supervises the unloading of such equipment form trailers; lays out work
to ensure adequate drainage and to blend new material with old.
- Supervises the operation of an asphalt spreading machine; directs both the actual operations and the
adjustments of the machine to regulate the crown and depth of the asphalt being laid on the street.
- Plans and directs the work of crew members; observes work projects from inception and completion;
ascertains that asphalt spreading machine, jack hammers, rollers, asphalt heaters, and other equipment are used
correctly and that proper raking and tamping techniques are followed.
- Directs the placing of barricades and signs on work projects to insure the safety of the crew and to
control the flow of traffic around and through the work area.
- Orders the required kind and amount of tools and materials needed for work assignments; insures that
delivered materials conform to required standards; certifies the daily time sheets of subordinate crew members.
- Participates in the snow removal program, performing assigned tasks during such emergencies, such
as plowing, cindering and salting streets.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- the methods, materials, tools, equipment and practices used in resurfacing streets and highways.
- asphalt mixes and of the practices and equipment relate to the application of paving materials involved
in resurfacing activities.
- the occupational hazards and the safety precautions involved in resurfacing activities.
- water drainage as it applies to the resurfacing of streets and highways.
- supervise a crew engaged in resurfacing activities.
- make estimates of time, labor and materials.
- keep routine time and material records.
- understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the
minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests.
Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience
requirements as approved on 11/96.)
- Education equivalent to the completion of the twelfth school grade.
- Three years of experience as a member of a crew engaged in the maintenance, repair and/or resurfacing
of streets and highways.
- Two years of experience above the laborer level, as a member of a crew performing major asphalt
resurfacing repairs to the City's streets and highways.
- Two years of experience supervising a crew of semi-skilled and unskilled employees, engaged in
repairing streets and highways in an assigned city district.
Or any equivalent combination of education and experience determined to be acceptable by the Personnel
Department that has included the specific experience described above.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this class.
PAY RANGE: 16
Class Established: 4/1972
Latest Spec. Revision:
CSC - 10/1996 ; Ad Board - 11/1996
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 7A35