CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
This is semiskilled work raking and spreading asphalt mixtures used in the construction
and repair of City streets and thoroughfares. Employees in this class operate asphalt spreading
machines and other tools including rakes and lutes to distribute asphaltic mixtures over street
surfaces. Work also include using hand and pneumatic powered tools to break up street
surfaces and shovels to load broken paving material into trucks. Moderate physical effort is
required in an environment in which working conditions can be only partially controlled. Work
is performed under the direction of an Asphalt Paving Crew Chief.
ALLOCATING FACTORS: (The following conditions must be met for a position to be approved for this class.
- A position in this class must utilize asphalt spreading machines and other tools including rakes and lutes to repair City streets and thoroughfares.
- The position must perform the work in the Highway Division of the Streets Department.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Heats smoothing irons and tampers over a fire to the proper temperature and applies oil
to rakes and lutes to prevent these tools from adhering to the worked asphalt.
- Uses rake and/or lute in distributing hot asphaltic road-building binder and topping evenly
over road surfaces by raking and brushing material to correct thickness.
- Rakes out or breaks lumps, so that the surface is brought to the proper grade and
conforms to the general contour of the street.
- Tamps and smooths joints, gutters, and connections in order that asphalt mixture will
properly adhere to old surfaces.
- Smooths and tamps asphalt surfaces inaccessible to a roller.
- Paints joints with hot asphalt to create water-tight seal.
- Smooths out all honeycombs and other defects which may appear after the tamping and
rolling of the surface.
- Uses hand and pneumatic powered tools to pick and break up old street surfacing; shovels
broken paving into trucks and performs other tasks incidental to the asphalt raking and street
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- the hand tools involved in asphalt repair and reconstruction work.
- the proper temperatures for asphalt hand tools.
- rake and spread asphaltic mixes to the proper grade and to conformity with the general
contour of the street.
- tamp and smooth joints, gutters, and connections in order that asphalt mixtures will
properly adhere to the old surface.
- smooth out all honeycombs and other defects which may appear after the tamping and
rolling of the surface.
- heat smoothing irons and tampers to temperatures consistent with the best practice.
- tamp and smooth asphalt surfaces inaccessible to a roller.
- use hand and pneumatic power tools to break up street surface material and perform
other tasks incidental to the street repair process.
- perform moderate manual labor for extended periods under adverse weather conditions.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement
represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject
applicants for tests Application submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based
on training and experience requirements as approved on 11/96.)
- Education equivalent to completion of the twelfth school grade.
- Six months experience performing general laboring work.
- Six months experience in the construction and repair of bituminous roads and learning
the fundamental procedures of raking, smoothing, and tamping asphaltic mixtures.
Or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this class.
PAY RANGE: 9
Class Established: 1/1957
Latest Spec. Revision:
CSC - 10/1996 ; Ad Board - 11/1996
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 7A33