CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
FINGERPRINT IDENTIFICATION TECHNICIAN TRAINEE
This is trainee level technical fingerprint identification and classification work. Employees in this class work on assigned shifts and are engaged in developing knowledge, skills and ability in Networked Aftis Transaction Management System/Automated Fingerprint Identification System (NATMS/AFIS) workstations to be able to match fingerprints against the Philadelphia Police Department database. This may result in a candidate list that is then verified using fingerprint expertise. Work is performed in the Philadelphia Police Department and includes learning to classify and identify and occasionally roll fingerprints of prisoners and others. The employee is supervised by a Fingerprint Identification Technician Supervisor.
ALLOCATING FACTORS: (The following conditions must be met for a position to be allocated to this class.)
- The position must perform fingerprint identification and classification work at the trainee level on a rotating shift and may work permanent night shift.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Learns to operates NATMS/AFIS workstations which match against the Philadelphia Police Department fingerprint database and may provide candidates for technician verification; learns how to identify the known and unknown perpetrators of crimes through the identifications of fingerprints; learns how to provide the identification of potential police officers and City employees; searches the national computer to match fingerprints with other fingerprints kept in data bases maintained by other jurisdictions.
- Develops and improves skill in classifying and searching civil and criminal fingerprints using the Henry (including NCIC) and NATMS/AFIS classifications; frequently uses a magnifying glass to obtain Henry and NATMS/AFIS classifications; uses NATMS/AFIS workstations to conduct a database search on suspect and arrestee fingerprints for various other law enforcement agencies.
- May roll fingerprint impressions of prisoners, suspects, parole registrants, private detectives, police applicants and appointees, city personnel and hospital patients (under arrest for verification purposes); obtains fingerprints using a Livescan machine or Tenprinter; may fingerprint prisoners in the cell room; rolls clear inked fingerprint impressions.
- Develops and increases skills in techniques used to fingerprint and identify cadavers.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- compare and identify fingerprint impressions
- learn to use an automated fingerprint identification system
- operate a typewriter accurately at 20 words per minute
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and police officers and all other law enforcement personnel
- learn to operate the NATMS/AFIS computer workstations
- learn to operate a Livescan (Tenprinter)
- learn NATMS/AFIS classification and identification
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 12/99.)
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Education equivalent to completion of the twelfth school grade.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND/OR CERTIFICATES
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of
a position in this class.
- Possession of a valid proper class motor vehicle operator's license as issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania prior to appointment and during tenure of appointment as a Fingerprint Identification Technician Trainee.
PAY RANGE: 6
CSC: 11/99, Ad Board: 12/99
Latest Spec. Revision:
CSC: 5/02, Ad Board: 9/02
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 6C11