PAY RANGE: 11
This is communications work at the full performance level providing a variety of telephone communication or security information services in a large hub international airport for airport personnel, tenants, passengers and the larger public. An employee in this class, on an assigned shift, operates communications and computerized information systems equipment answering, receiving and transmitting messages of emergency and non‑emergency nature and recording, inputting and/or programming messages received. Employees working in the Security Office operate airport security and identification equipment and are designated as Trusted Agents for the airport. Work includes monitoring and controlling access to restricted areas of the airport, operating airport security and identification equipment and serving as central reporting and liaison point for airport activities. Work is performed under the supervision of an Airport Communications Center Supervisor.
ALLOCATING FACTORS: (The following conditions must be met for a position to be allocated to this class.)
· Positions in this class must provide communication and information services on assigned shifts.
· Positions in this class must operate communications and computerized information systems equipment.
· Positions in the Security Office must maintain trusted agent status
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
Performs the duties shown below with members of the English language speaking and designated non‑English language speaking populations.
Operates communications and computerized information systems equipment; receives and transmits messages; answers calls received in a courteous and efficient manner; provides information to callers and visitors; monitors calls connected on the switchboard; records and inputs messages received onto the system's computer; programs and announces flight information and public messages; dispatches airport emergency crews such as the police, fire and operations personnel in response to emergency calls received.
Monitors and controls access to the restricted areas of the airport; retrieves information of persons with access problems; verifies identification and permits access to the restricted areas. May operate airport security and identification equipment; assists tenants and aviation division staff in completing photo identification applications; makes new airport ID for tenants and aviation division staff; adjusts camera controls for proper exposure, color and tint and photographs applicants; stores portraits and signatures of tenants and aviation division staff in the system's computer and assists in verifying applicants for new airport ID; updates tenants and aviation division staff ID.
Functions in a full performance capacity learning to perform and provide Trusted Agent duties as defined by the Transportation Security Agency; collects information from applications and current Airport employee used to process Criminal History Records and Security Threat Assessments.
Serves as central reporting and liaison point for airport activities including coordinating services for disabled passengers; maintains standard time for all airport activities; provides and maintains list of tenants, airport and local directories; records and directs messages for and on behalf of maintenance control; collects and disburses lost and found items; may meet with passengers, customers and staff at the information dissemination center of the Communications Center, to discuss and resolve communication and information related problems; accepts payment for and on behalf of the accounts department.
Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
· correct English usage and grammar
· recordkeeping and clerical practices
· personal computer and office equipment
· communication, security, or airport identification equipment and their uses
· operate Airport communications and information systems equipment
· operate Airport security and identification system equipment
· utilize a computer terminal
· speak over a public address system both clearly and distinctly, using good diction
react quickly when receiving and transmitting calls and messages of an
· follow instructions and standard procedures involved in airport communications and information systems
· learn the use of a computer keyboard
· learn and remember the names, locations and functions of various airport and city personnel
· learn the operation of communications and information systems equipment, a security and identification system equipment and other related system equipment
· maintain routine records of center activities
· learn the use of aviation terms and phraseology
· speak and understand the designated non‑English language for the bilingual specialty
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be approved based on training and experience approved on 9/10.)
Education equivalent to completion of the twelfth school grade.
One year experience providing a variety of telephone communication services at a large international airport.
Two years experience involving full time operation of a telephone switchboard or two‑way radio console.
Any equivalent combination of education and experience determined to be acceptable by the Office of Human Resources that has included the specific experience described above.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENT FOR THE BILINGUAL SPECIALTY
Sufficient training and/or experience to be able to converse effectively in English and the designated non‑English language.
Employees must be able pass and maintain unescorted access authorization during tenure of employment.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in environmental conditions required of a position in this class
Class Established - 12/53
Spec. Revision: CSC ‑ 10/91; Ad. Board ‑ 12/91
CSC - 04/04; Ad. Board - 08/04
Latest Spec. Revision: CSC - 8/10; Ad. Board - 9/10