CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
STREET LIGHTING INSPECTOR I
This is technical field work inspecting contracted street light installation and maintenance
projects. An employee in this class is responsible for interpreting contract requirements and for
informing contractors and supervisors of non-conformity with contractual agreements and
construction violations. Employees in this class ensure that street light installation and
maintenance projects are carried out according to plans and specifications. Work is performed
under the supervision of a technical superior.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Inspects street light installations; reviews plans and specifications of new installations;
inspects material to be installed to ensure that it meets specifications; tours job site to ensure that
work is performed in accordance with plans and specifications; informs contractors and superiors
when requirements are not being met; reinspects areas where violations are found to see that
corrective action has been taken; keeps records of materials used and submits progress reports
of work performed.
- Inspects the work of contractors performing such preventive maintenance as bulb washing
and replacement; checks bulbs; ensures that contractors fulfill the required amount of work.
- Investigates complaints of inadequate or deficient street lighting and alley lights; prepares
forms recommending additional lights when warranted.
- Uses voltage and amperage meters to determine the presence of and amount of current
on street lights; uses those meters to assist in solving electrical problems.
- May attend pre-construction meetings designed to define contract terms.
- Prepares reports detailing changes in lighting, inspections completed, and descriptions
of contracted work done.
- Prepares plot plans and mechanical drawings of street light conditions; takes samples of
materials for laboratory testing.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- inspectional methods and procedures.
- the practices and procedures involved in the installation and maintenance of street lights.
- blue print, specification, and shop plan reading and interpretation.
- learn the principles of electricity as they apply to street lights and street lighting
- recognize shop plan, blue print and specification deviations, improper or faulty
installation and maintenance, and recommend corrective actions.
- determine the conformity of material quantities, and workmanship methods and quality
with contract requirements, plans and specifications.
- interpret, explain and enforce compliance with contract specifications firmly and
- express ideas effectively, both orally and in writing.
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, contractors, and
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement
represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject
applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based
on training and experience requirements as approved on 1/86.)
Or any equivalent combination of education and experience determined to be acceptable
by the Personnel Department.
- Education equivalent to completion of the twelfth school grade.
- Two years of inspection or trades experience which has included reading and interpreting
plans and specifications as a significant aspect of the work.
Completion of six credits in post high school courses dealing with construction
or engineering technology may be substituted for the experience requirement
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND/OR CERTIFICATES
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this class.
- Possession of a valid proper class motor vehicle operator's license as issued by the
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania prior to appointment and during tenure of employment as a
Street Lighting Inspector I.
PAY RANGE: 14
Class Established: 2/1972
Latest Spec. Revision: 1/1986
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 6F51