CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
This is field work investigating the activities of active and retired City employees, city
agencies and private contractors doing business with the City in order to gather data concerning
compliance with ordinances, regulations, and established specifications and standards.
Employees in this class may perform their work as members of an investigative team. Work
is performed under the direction of a technical superior. Employees in this class may work
irregular hours and week-ends. Employees may also be required to utilize their personal vehicle
in connection with their work.
ALLOCATING FACTORS: (The following conditions must be met for a position to be approved for this class.)
- The employees must investigate employees, agencies and contractors to determine compliance with ordinances, regulations and specifications.
- Positions must perform work in the City Controller's Office.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Investigates complaints and alleged irregularities concerning compliance with City
ordinances, regulations and established specifications and standards; reviews a variety of
personnel and financial records to obtain information such as employee's physical description,
residence, motor vehicle registration, and business associates; may use computer terminal or
personal computer to enter or retrieve data.
- Observes and records employee's activities during work day; may use personal vehicle
to travel to investigation sites; determines and verifies residence of employees; examines
time-sheets, payroll records and expenditure vouchers; interviews employees of the City and
other governmental agencies, contractors, school officials and neighbors; inspects construction
sites for compliance to contract specifications.
- Prepares a written report stating investigator's observations and findings.
- Testifies at hearings as to their observations and findings.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- field investigation methods and techniques.
- the methods and techniques of dealing with the general public in investigational
- the format and use of a variety of financial, contractual and other records.
- learn the provisions of statutes, ordinances, codes, regulations and policies as they apply
to the assigned phases of investigation work.
- prepare and summarize investigation reports.
- learn to enter and retrieve data from the computer terminal and personal computer.
- utilize a personal computer and network terminal.
- obtain information through use of a personal computer and network terminal.
- obtain information through interviews and observations.
- use tact, diplomacy and judgment in dealing with the general public.
- present ideas effectively, both orally and in writing.
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, governmental
officials and the public.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement
represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject
applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based
on training and experience requirements as approved on 6/91.)
- Education equivalent to the completion of the twelfth school grade.
Or any equivalent combination of education and experience which has been determined
to be acceptable by the Personnel Department.
- Two years of experience performing field investigations and inspections by inquiry,
observation and examination.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND/OR CERTIFICATES
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions
required of a position in this class.
- Possession of a valid proper class motor vehicle operator's license as issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania prior to appointment and during tenure of employment as a Financial Control Investigator.
PAY RANGE: 11
Class Established: 11/1953
Spec. Revision: 6/1984
Latest Spec. Revision: /1991
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 6E11