CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
SCHOOL CROSSING GUARD
( General )
( Bilingual )
This is part-time seasonal school crossing guard duty. An employee in this class is
responsible for directing traffic at an assigned intersection in order to afford maximum protection
to children going to and returning from school. Work is performed under the immediate
supervision of a police officer or patrol supervisor, and involves some disagreeable aspects, light
physical effort, and exposure to inclement weather.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Directs and controls the movement of school children at an assigned intersection;
coordinates the movement of traffic with the flow of school-age pedestrians; patrols an assigned
intersection to direct children across streets; uses a whistle or hand signals to indicate the
appropriate time for students to cross.
- Determines traffic movement when signals are not operating and remains alert to prevent
children from attempting to cross when traffic is moving.
- Performs the above-mentioned duties at assigned intersections used primarily by English
speaking school children.
- Performs the above-mentioned duties at assigned intersections used primarily by non-
English speaking school children.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- learn motor vehicle regulations affecting pedestrian safety.
- remain alert and to act quickly and calmly in traffic emergencies.
- learn the attitudes and actions of juveniles.
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates.
- complete satisfactorily a prescribed course of training.
- stand for a prolonged period in all types of weather.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement
represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject
applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based
on training and experience requirements as approved on 12/89.)
FOR THE GENERAL SPECIALTY
FOR THE BILINGUAL SPECIALTY
- Ability to read and write English.
- Ability to read and write English and the designated non-English language.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this
PAY RANGE: H14
Class Established: 1/1953
Latest Spec. Revision: 12/1989
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 6D44