CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
POLICE GRAPHIC ARTIST
This is technical police art work preparing composite drawings, renderings, illustrations and graphic
designs to aid in law enforcement and promote the department's programs. A significant aspect of the work
includes gaining the confidence and eliciting the cooperation of witnesses to, and victims of crimes in order
to gain detailed descriptions used in the preparation of composite drawings of suspects.
Work is performed under the supervision of a technical police superior. Assignments require the
application of evaluative thinking and are performed in accordance with standard art practices and general work
instructions. The employee furnishes a contributory function to the department's law enforcement program.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Interrogates witnesses to, and victims of crimes to gather needed details for the preparation of composite
drawings; prepares composite facial drawings; prepares line drawings depicting crime scenes.
- Designs, lays out and selects typography for printed matter; prepares illustration or directs photographer
to take shots for use in graphic presentations; determines printing details such as type face, illustrations, colors,
type, size and quality of paper to be used.
- Prepares and revises charts and graphs; draws and cuts designs on stencils; designs and uses silk screen
equipment for the reproduction of posters.
- Renders perspective drawings of proposed building alterations and construction to exact detail.
- Installs exhibits and displays; consults with personnel concerned with planning promotional projects and
arranging displays; designs and prepares display panels.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- the processes, methods, techniques and equipment used in commercial art work.
- perspective, design, color, harmony and composition.
- modern police practices and methods.
- the rules and regulations of the police department.
- the techniques of criminal identification.
- the care and use of commercial art materials and equipment.
- prepare original designs, illustrations and sketches.
- perform a variety of lettering and layout work tasks.
- prepare finished art work by original methods and by mechanical reproduction processes.
- interrogate witnesses in order to obtain descriptions and prepare composite drawings based in
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the
minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests.
Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience
requirements as approved on 5/74.)
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Three years of police experience, two years of which has been in the performance of illustrative art
work and the preparation of visual aids.
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this class.
PAY RANGE: 205
Class Established: 5/1974
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 6A33