PAY RANGE: 205
This is supervisory police work in directing a squad of police officers in the performance of their duties, or in performing a specialized police functions.
Work normally involves supervision of and responsibility for the work assigned to a squad of police officers. Squad assignments typically include patrol duty, crime investigation and prevention, and traffic regulation. When limited supervision is exercised, employees are expected to use a relatively high degree of police knowledge and skills and specialized activities. All work is performed in accordance with departmental rules and regulations. Instructions regarding assignments and procedures are received from a superior officer, and work is reviewed by inspection and through oral and written reports to superiors.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
Inspects equipment, appearance, and persons of police officers before roll call; makes assignments to beats; patrols assigned district to observe police officers in the performance of their work and gives advice and assistance when necessary. Assigns police officers to traffic posts; assigns special traffic details, and personally supervises control of traffic in an emergency situation.
When assigned to the detective force, visits scene of crime, searches for and preserves evidence; investigates clues; apprehends and arrests violators, interviews suspects, prisoners, complainants, and witnesses to obtain information about crimes, prepares reports, and testifies in court; assigns detectives to cases and reviews and approves their reports.
When assigned to the police radio room, supervises personnel assigned to receiving calls for police service; supervises employees assigned to central control desk; broadcasts messages to police vehicles; may be designated as being in charge of radio room in absence of commanding officer.
Commands a harbor patrol boat, patrolling the rivers and harbor to suppress crimes and furnish emergency assistance to those in danger.
Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
· modern police practices and methods
· controlling laws and ordinances, particularly the laws of arrest and evidence
· the geography of the city
· the rules and regulations of the Police Department including those pertaining to operations room activities
· the forms and procedures commonly in use in a police district operations room
· the principles of crime and accident investigation, the techniques of interrogation, and the identification and preservation of physical evidence
· first aid principles and skill in their application
· the techniques of crime prevention
· the techniques of criminal identification
· the use and care of firearms
· plan, assign, and supervise the work of police officers
· analyze situations quickly and objectively, and to determine a proper course of action to be taken
· face situation firmly, courteously, tactfully, and with respect for the rights of others
· obtain information through interview and interrogation
· speak and write effectively
· react quickly and calmly in an emergency
· use a typewriter when assignment so requires
· establish and maintain effective working relationships with other officers and the public
· Emotional stability
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 5/12.)
Two years experience as a Police Officer.
One year of experience as a Police Corporal or Detective.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this class.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND/OR CERTIFICATES
Possession of a valid proper class motor vehicle operator's license as issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania prior to appointment and during tenure of employment as a Police Sergeant.
Class Established: 1/53
Spec. Revision: 4/76
Latest Spec. Revision: CSC - 4/12; Ad. Board - 5/12