This is correctional work at the first supervisory level in the maintenance of discipline and custody of inmates in a municipal correctional institution on an assigned shift. Work involves supervising and coordinating the activities of subordinate correctional officers. Work is performed under the supervision of a higher level correctional officer. Work involves regular exposure to unpredictable conditions, which may arise in a correctional institution.
The job(s) listed is (are) open equally to qualified men and women.
- Conducts roll call for guards on shift; inspects guards for appearance, equipment, and contraband; assigns guards to various posts in the institution; makes rounds of entire institution frequently during tour of duty to observe the performance of guards and routine institutional operations; insures that appropriate security and sanitary conditions are constantly maintained.
- Supervises subordinate correctional officers engaged in controlling the mass movement of inmates to and from work assignments, recreational activity and meals, and in the surveillance of prison grounds and buildings for possible irregularities in inmate behavior.
- Takes, receives and checks periodic counts of inmates.
- Investigates and reports all infractions of the rules and regulations to a superior officer.
- Maintains discipline among the inmates and when necessary takes immediate action to quell disturbances; makes reports and keeps records related to their work.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- modern penological principles and practices related to correctional work and to the control of prisoners
- the rules and regulations governing the security of a correctional institution
- the methods and techniques used in enforcing discipline of persons under restraint
- the care and use of firearms
- the housekeeping and sanitation measures required in a large correctional or detentional facility
- individual and group behavior of persons under restraint
- supervise subordinate employees in the performance of their duties.
- enforce regulations firmly, tactfully and impartially.
- learn the operation of, and to attain proficiency with a variety of firearms, and to maintain such proficiency during tenure as a Correctional Sergeant if required by work assignment.
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates.
- speak, read and write in a specified non-English language, and the English language, fluently for the Bilingual specialties.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 4/73.)
- Education equivalent to completion of the twelfth school grade.
- Two years of experience guarding inmates in a correctional institution.
Any equivalent combination of education and experience determined to be acceptable by the Personnel Department.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENT FOR THE BILINGUAL SPECIALTY
- Sufficient training and/or experience to be able to converse effectively in the designated non-English language.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of
a position in this class.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND/OR CERTIFICATES
- Possession of a valid proper class motor vehicle operator's license as issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania prior to appointment and during tenure of employment as Correctional Sergeant.
PAY RANGE: 46
Class Established: 4/73
Latest Spec. Revision:1/91
Change in pay rate (first 3 steps dropped):
CSC: 10/05, Ad Board: 10/05
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 5H05