CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
( Bilingual )
This is general duty correctional work maintaining security and discipline in a City correctional institution or police detention facility on an assigned shift. Work includes responsibility for guarding inmates at a work location, in cell blocks, transporting them from institutions to and from courts and between institutions, and in the performance of general laboring tasks as required. Work is performed under the close supervision of higher level correctional or police personnel. Work involves regular exposure to unpredictable conditions and occasionally requires the expenditure of physical effort in the restraining and subduing of prisoners.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Performs the duties below with members of the English language speaking and designated non-English language speaking populations
- Performs related work a required.
- Patrols an assigned area of a correctional institution; supervises inmates in cells, cell blocks and dormitories; observes inmates to detect or prevent disturbances; conducts roll call and inspects inmates for personal cleanliness and conformance with other rules of the institution.
- Escorts inmates throughout the institutions; assists in maintaining order in yards and recreation areas; stands guard in mess halls to enforce institution rules; assigns to and oversees the work of inmates engaged in routine cleaning or laboring operations.
- Stands guard in a cellblock containing inmates awaiting trial or transportation to institutions; escorts inmates; may operate automotive equipment in transporting inmates to and from court and between institutions.
- Monitors central security control point regulating movement of individuals between areas of prison; maintains telephone, public address and electronic communications with all prison points; maintains current records of inmate population and whereabouts.
- Patrols prison perimeter with accompanying sentry dog; feeds and cares for dogs; stands watch at towers or gates to prevent escapes and to regulate the admission of visitors to the institution; assists in censoring mail.
- Provides security for a Police detention unit; receives and searches prisoners; records and stores personal property of prisoners; operates computerized and electronic equipment to input descriptive data for detainees and record fingerprints and images; enters data and processes required forms and documentation pertaining to arrest or arraignment proceedings; escorts prisoners and provides security in preliminary arraignments; monitors detainees in cells and distributes meals; provides security for lobby desk; monitors alarm and CCTV systems; provides informational services to the public.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- the attitudes and group habits of persons in custody
- the safety and health precautions associated with correctional work
- a wide variety of correctional institution or detention facility rules, regulations and procedures
- supervise the activities of inmates in assigned tasks
- speak, read, and write in a specified non-English language, and the English language, fluently for the Bilingual Specialty
- and willingness to carry out detailed orders
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with inmates and associates
- learn the operation of, and to attain proficiency with a variety of firearms, and to maintain such proficiency during tenure as a Correctional Officer if required by work assignment
- act quickly and calmly in an emergency
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 6/94.)
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Education equivalent to the completion of the twelfth school grade.
- Sufficient training and/or experience to be able to understand and speak fluently and clearly in English and a designated non-English language.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND/OR CERTIFICATES
- Age - Must have reached twentieth (20) birthday.
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this class.
- Possession of a valid proper class motor vehicle operator's license as issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania prior to appointment and during tenure of appointment as a Correctional Officer if required by work assignment.
PAY RANGE: 43
CSC: 4/69, Ad Board: 6/69
CSC: 9/00, Ad Board: 12/00
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 5H04