CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
HEALTH EDUCATION AND TRAINING SPECIALIST I
This is health education and training work of limited scope and difficulty in either the
coordinating office for drug and alcohol abuse or office of mental health/mental retardation.
Assignments expand in scope and responsibility as the employee gains experience.
Work is performed under the general supervision of a technical superior. Assignments
call for evaluative thinking and are carried out in accordance with standard practices and work
instructions. Employees in this class contribute to the development and promotion of health
related training and education programs.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Visits Mental Health, Community Health, Drug and other health related agencies to
observe training and education programs; recommends methods of improving programs and
involving the community in the activities of the agency.
- Advises drug and alcohol, mental health/mental retardation and other health agencies of
grants available for training and education programs; assists these agencies in the preparation
of grant proposals; makes suggestions on training curriculum and instructors.
- Arranges for public health presentations; prepares and delivers talks on assigned health
topics such as mental health, mental retardation, drug and alcohol addiction and prevention and
the objectives and services of contract agencies, assists community groups in the development
and presentation of health education programs.
- Researches sources for health information; summarizes materials and uses information
to prepare bulletins, reports, educational pamphlets and brochures; writes and assists in the
writing of newsletters and other documents designed to inform the public on health problems,
prevention and treatment.
- Answers requests for information and literature on public health topics.
- Maintains records on census tracks, statistical information and records on education,
training and treatment programs.
- Prepares and assists in the preparation of exhibits and poster materials for public display.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- the methods and techniques used in preparing and disseminating health education
information and related materials to the public.
- public and private health related agencies and the services they provide.
- the principles of public health and the objectives of public health programs including
mental health and drug addiction programs.
- the nature and function of community agencies which contribute to or benefit by a public
health education program.
- gather data and compose articles and speeches on public health topics.
- evaluate program effectiveness and to prepare recommendations based on evaluations.
- gather, analyze and evaluate data and to recommend action relating to community needs
- speak effectively in public and to express ideas clearly in writing.
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, community
leaders, community groups, representatives of public and private health and welfare
agencies and the general public.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement
represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject
applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based
on training and experience requirements as approved on 7/78.)
- Completion of a bachelor's degree program at an accredited college or university.
Or any equivalent combination of acceptable education and experience which has a
bachelor's degree as an educational minimum.
- Two years of experience in a health or social service agency or program which has
included developing and implementing assigned phases of a community education and/or training
program designed to change attitudes or behavior patterns.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this class.
PAY RANGE: EP13
Class Established: 7/1978
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 5G11