- This is materials engineering or laboratory work supervising, through subordinate technical supervisors and/or engineers, the Water Department's physical testing of infrastructure materials, vendor certification programs for construction materials, failure analysis, product evaluation and related testing. The employee in this class is responsible for directing the development and implementation of procedures and standards necessary to test construction material quality and assess vendor performance. Work involves directing, planning and implementing aspects of complex civil engineering projects related to the utilization of various construction materials components and products. Providing evaluative and interpretive analysis of material tests, vendor inspections and projects performed and contact with vendor, construction, engineering and technical personnel are significant aspects of the work. Work is performed under the direction of an administrative engineering superior.
(The following conditions must be met for a position to be allocated to this class.)
- The positions must be located in the Water Department's Materials Testing Laboratory.
- The position must direct the physical testing, vendor certification programs, failure analysis, and product evaluation, through technical and/or engineering supervisors.
- The position must utilize materials and civil engineering expertise in the analyses, evaluation and interpretation of test, inspection and project results.
- The positions must report directly to the Materials Testing Laboratory Manager.