Minimum Acceptable Training And Experience
(The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 10/11.)
- Completion of a two year program at a technical institute or an accredited college or university with major course work in water, engineering, construction, architectural or medical technology, engineering, biology, chemistry, or environmental studies. OR
- Completion of a one year course (30 credits) in the areas named above at a technical institute or an accredited college or university which has included satisfactory completion of a minimum of six credit hours in one of the areas listed above. AND
- One year
- Performing chemical or bacteriological tests, operating and maintaining water chemical laboratory instrumentation, or
- Full performance level drafting work, preparing detailed maps, drawings, plans and designs.
- Education equivalent to completion of twelfth school grade and satisfactory completion of a formal internship program designed by the City of Philadelphia. AND
- Two years of engineering and sciences technician work at the trainee level.
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience determined to be acceptable by the Office of Human Resources which has included completion of one year of post high school training at an accredited technical institute or college as specified above or an internship program specified above as an educational minimum.
- Completion of an Associateís Degree program from an accredited college or university in a qualifying scientific or medical field. *
- American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) Board of Registry certification as a Medical Technician (MLT) is preferred.
* Qualifying scientific and medical fields include: Medical Laboratory Technician Studies, Biology, Biological Sciences, Chemistry and Forensic Chemistry or a closely related field.
NOTE: Selective Factor Certification may be utilized, as needed, to fill specific positions. In accordance with Civil Service Regulation 11.032 - Selective Factor Certification - the appointing authority may request certification of eligible candidates with one or more of the required degrees to fill specific positions in this class. Certification to fill such positions will be made from of the two highest ranking eligible candidates on the eligible list who possess the specified degree.
Physical And Medical Requirements
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this class.
Licenses, Registrations And/Or Certificates
- Possession of a valid proper class motor vehicle operator's license as issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania prior to appointment and during tenure of employment as a Science Technician if required by work assignment.