CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
HIGHWAY CONSTRUCTION INSPECTOR I
This is technical work inspecting street and highway construction and repair projects.
An employee in this class is responsible for overseeing the workmanship to insure compliance
with specifications and standards and notifying contractors of non-conformity with contractual
Work is performed under the supervision of an inspectional supervisor. Assignments
require evaluative thinking and are performed in accordance with standard inspection practices
and general work instructions. The employee performs inspection functions that provide the
basis for action by engineers and street repair supervisors. Work involves some disagreeable
aspects and some light physical effort.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- In an assigned district, inspects contract construction and repair work of city streets,
sidewalks, curbs, gutters and driveways; ascertains whether lines and grades conform with plans
and specifications; observes materials being laid, finished and compacted to insure proper
quantity and quality and adequate workmanship.
- Confers with contractors to explain and interpret specifications and standards; informs
contractors of areas of non-compliance; advises contractors as to methods, procedures and
practices to meet the standards. Makes follow up inspections to see that errors are corrected;
rejects unsatisfactory materials.
- Patrols the streets in an assigned district noting defective sidewalks, curbs or driveways,
and condition of streets, highways, traffic control devices, and utilities installations; issues
notices to appropriate agencies or homeowners requesting repair of defective conditions; makes
re-inspections to insure correction of violations.
- May visit sites of accidents in which the city is involved in litigation; observes current
physical conditions at sites; draws diagram of site indicating pertinent physical features,
dimensions and distances; researches files for reports of defective traffic control devices and
other unsatisfactory conditions, and indication of repairs made; answers questionnaires pertaining
to physical conditions of the accident site.
- Prepares progress reports and maintains inspection records.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- construction and repair methods and techniques used for streets and highways.
- the materials and equipment used in street and highway construction and repair projects.
- construction plan and specification reading and interpretation.
- determine the conformity of material quantities, and workmanship methods and quality
with contract requirements, plans and specifications.
- understand and interpret construction and repair specifications and plans.
- learn City ordinances and standards pertaining to street and highway construction and
- make accurate arithmetic computations.
- prepare written reports and maintain records of inspections.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement
represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject
applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based
on training and experience requirements as approved on 9/80.)
- Education equivalent to completion of the twelfth school grade.
- Two year of experience in street or highway construction and repair.
Or any equivalent combination of education and experience determined to be acceptable
by the Personnel Department.
Completion of 6 credits in post high school courses dealing with construction
methods and materials and construction contracts and specifications may be
substituted for the experience requirement indicated above.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions
required of a position in this class.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND/OR CERTIFICATES
- Possession of a valid proper class motor vehicle operator's license as issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania prior to appointment and during tenure of employment as a Highway Construction Inspector I, if required by work assignment.
PAY RANGE: 13
Class Established: 1/1970
Spec. Revision: 9/1980
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 3A41