CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
CARTOGRAPHIC DRAFTING TECHNICIAN
This is cartographic drafting work preparing, maintaining and updating city maps depicting such information as land usage zoning and property layout. Employees in this class perform automated mapping by utilizing and operating specialized geographic-information systems at a workstation. This class is differentiated from other drafting classes in that incumbents apply technical cartographic principles and standards in performing map making work. Work is performed under the supervision of a technical superior.
ALLOCATING FACTORS: (The following conditions must be met for a position to be allocated to this class.)
- The position must be responsible for preparing, maintaining and updating a wide variety of city maps.
- The position must be responsible for utilizing and operating specialized computer software to perform mapping work.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Performs automated mapping depicting such information as land usage, zoning and location of physical structures and street and property layout; applies established cartographic drafting principles in completing mapping work.
- Utilizes and operates specialized geographic software to electronically construct and modify map content; inputs appropriate scales, points, distances, bearings, elevations, colors and other cartographic information in designing automated subject maps; generates computer print-outs of subject maps.
- Enters various other relevant geographic data to the system data base and edits the information as appropriate; troubleshoots problems with data and software; reports system problems to a computer specialist; gathers and reviews data such as aerial photographs and zoning ordinances to construct subject maps; may prepare preliminary sketches in preparation of automated map making.
- Designs and prepares various graphical representations, such as logos, charts, text and photos for use in publications produced by the agency.
- Attends meetings and training seminars as assigned in order to gather information pertaining to technical advances in the area of map making and current City initiatives affecting data and maps.
- Performs queries to gather information in support of maintenance and map making.
- Meets with managers and supervisors to determine needs and makes appropriate recommendations.
- Researches, analyzes and manipulates data and determines the appropriate use in support of map making.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- the utilization and operation of specialized geographic information system (GIS) computer software to perform cartographic drafting.
- databases and the methods necessary to manipulate data.
- the methods, principles and practices used in map preparation.
- the basic theories of cartographic technology.
- the terminology, technical symbols, equipment and instruments of cartographic drafting.
- applying cartographic drafting principles and standards in performing map making work.
- gather, compile and analyze information, data and material necessary to perform map making work.
- read and interpret a wide variety of maps.
- maintain and establish effective working relationships with associates and the public.
- learn the most recent geographic programs and apply the principles of computerized map making in different applications.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 6/89.)
- Completion of the twelfth school grade.
- Two years of experience preparing maps and street plans.
- Two years of experience performing cartographic work involving the creation of complex and detailed maps using and operating specialized geographic computer software.
Any equivalent combination of training and experience determined to be acceptable by the Personnel Department, which has included the specific experience described above.
Completion of two years of coursework in cartography, geographic information systems, architectural technology or civil engineering technology at an accredited college or university may be substituted for the general experience requirement.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of
a position in this class.
PAY RANGE: 17
Class Established: 11/58
Latest Spec. Revision:
CSC: 06/03, Ad Board: 01/04
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 3A22