CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
HEALTH SERVICES PROGRAM DIRECTOR
( Policy Planning and Analysis )
( Children's Behavioral Health Servicesl )
This is public health administrative work directing and coordinating the development, implementation and evaluation of long range and short term strategic plans, goals and objectives for the area of specialization in a municipal health services department. Employees in this class direct subordinate planners, analysts and technical personnel engaged in data gathering, analysis and development. Contact with departmental program administrators, city and other governmental officials, and representatives of local and regional health care agencies to coordinate the planning and implementation of health care programs is a major aspect of the work. Work is performed under the general direction of the Health Commissioner.
ALLOCATING FACTORS: (The following conditions must be met for a position to be allocated to this class.)
- Only one position in each specialty will be allocated to this class.
- Positions in this class must report directly to the Health Commissioner.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
POLICY PLANNING AND ANALYSIS SPECIALTY
CHILDREN'S BEHAVIORAL HEALTH SERVICES SPECIALTY
- Directs the development of long range and short term strategic plans for the provision of city-wide health services; drafts departmental goals and objectives in consideration of health care trends and projections, impact of federal and state legislation and health care program requirements, funding projections, and program goals of regional health care agencies and groups; develops recommendations for changes in existing and new program activities, goals and objectives; develops procedures to monitor and report on implementation progress; analyzes and prepares recommendations on health care issues as requested by the health commissioner; coordinates the evaluation of existing programs and activities to determine if they are meeting departmental goals and objectives; directs the development and implementation of programs that span multiple departmental units to improve service delivery; represents department on City-wide task force evaluating impact of legislative initiatives and developing appropriate response.
- Directs, through subordinate supervisors, the establishment, implementation and monitoring of all policies and procedures governing professional services contract development; serves as primary interpreter of City contract management agency policies and directs staff in dealings with central contract agencies; confers with departmental administrators to discuss contract development and processing and to resolve funding and language issues.
- Serves as departmental liaison with outside planning and policy groups and agencies concerned with regional health care issues, including medical assistance managed care firms; presents departmental positions on health care related policies and issues; coordinates development of departmental goals and programs with other governmental and regional policy and planning agencies; directs projects involving other city department staff to analyze, improve and coordinate the delivery of health services and to analyze multi-agency data and develop policy recommendations.
- Directs, through a subordinate supervisor, the activities of a program analysis unit engaged in providing technical support for the department in the evaluation, development, and implementation of management information systems; directs the planning activities for the development of management information systems throughout the department; establishes equipment acquisition policies and standards; confers with departmental administrators to discuss automated management information system capabilities and review requests or proposals for new or modification of existing systems; directs studies to assess needs and feasibility; establishes departmental priorities for the implementation of automated data systems; develops departmental goals and standards for the collection of data concerning program operations and activities necessary to evaluate existing services and prepare projections of health care trends and activities; insures that adequate analytical support is provided for program units utilizing service data collected.
- Directs the development of a coordinated and integrated children's behavioral health care system which provides both substance abuse and mental health treatment for children; establishes policies, goals and objectives to increase the number, quality and range of services available to children and their families, including preventive and highly intensive services, which will improve long term outcomes; improves access and quality of services for children with behavioral disorders through development of guidelines, technical assistance to providers and service monitoring; insures that existing or proposed programs and policies are consistent with State regulations and contractual funding requirements, court directed mandates and national standards of children's behavioral health services.
- Directs staff engaged in the monitoring of agencies that provide services, both in terms of budget and program requirements; supervises staff performing contract monitoring, on-site reviews and provision of technical assistance; evaluates proposals from providers concerning new or increased services; recommends approval of proposals for implementation of new services including budget information and payment level to potential providers.
- Coordinates and confers on the planning and implementation of appropriate types and levels of service with other agencies including the school district, courts and Department of Human Services; directs collaborative efforts and projects to insure that there is an adequate interagency process for children who require intensive behavioral health services; provides ongoing support and consultation for the Community Behavioral Health board concerning program needs, service accessibility and adequacy.
- Directs the development and implementation of grant funded programs and initiatives; meets with and provides assistance to families, family organizations, attorney advocates and potential providers; presents and explains departmental policies concerning children's behavioral services.
- Confers with departmental administrators and City officials to coordinate existing planning and budgeting efforts; serves as departmental liaison with outside planning and policy groups and agencies concerned with health care issues; presents departmental positions on health care related policies and issues; coordinates development of departmental goals and programs with other governmental and regional policy and planning agencies.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Or any equivalent combination of education and experience determined to be acceptable by the Personnel Department which has included a bachelor's degree as an educational minimum.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of
a position in this class.
PAY RANGE: EP28
Class Established: 9/84
Latest Spec. Revision:
CSC: 8/99, Ad Board: 10/99
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 2N52