CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
ELECTION ACTIVITIES ASSISTANT ADMINISTRATOR
This is administrative and second level supervisory work directing, through subordinate supervisors, employees engaged in a variety of activities relative to the City's conduct of the election process. An employee in this class is responsible for directing, through a subordinate supervisor, the preparation of election materials and coordinating and directing, through a subordinate supervisor, the maintenance and inventory of departmental voting machines and equipment. Coordinating poll worker education programs on the use of the City's electronic voting machines and assisting other administrators in coordinating the distribution of election materials, tabulation of unofficial election returns and absentee ballots, and preparing the official canvass of election returns are important aspects of the work. Work is performed under the general supervision of an administrative superior.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Directs, through a subordinate supervisor, the overall activities of office and field personnel engaged in a variety of activities relevant to the successful conduct of the election process which includes: preparing watcher certificates for election day use; providing election information to the general public and candidates; preparing and processing election supplies and forms as needed for election and polling places.
- Directs, through a subordinate supervisor, the maintenance and inventory of departmental voting machines and equipment; coordinates the inventory of departmental voting machines, equipment, furniture and supplies; makes recommendations to insure that adequate temporary and full time personnel, equipment and supplies are provided to carry out the election process.
- Schedules and coordinates the voter education program for the City's electronic voting machines, including distribution of literature and notices; schedules voting machine demonstrations for candidates, poll workers, religious, and political organizations and the general public.
- Sets work priorities and determines that pre-determined standards of work output are adhered to; orients temporary personnel in election processes and procedures.
- Interprets legislation pertaining to the conduct of elections and makes recommendations to establishment of procedures to be followed in conducting elections; reviews election forms and petitions for compliance with the election laws or changes required by new voting equipment and procedures; coordinates the processing and distribution of election materials and supplies to be used in polling places; assists other administrators in coordinating the distribution of election materials and supplies and assures that all items are checked and returned from the polling place.
- Directs the tabulation of election results and the issuance of poll watchers' materials.
- Coordinates voter registration program conducted with schools, civic groups and the general public regarding the election process.
- Appears in court as required to answer questions regarding the election process.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- election laws of Pennsylvania
- the principles and practices of office management
- developments in the election field
- the geography of the City
- principles governing the operation of voting machines
- maintenance, service and repair procedures for electronic voting machines
- election management software used for the City's electronic voting machines
- field investigation methods and techniques used in connection with checking candidates' campaign expenses
- supervisory methods and techniques
- coordinate, through subordinate supervisors, the work of a large staff of employees engaged in conducting a city-wide program of voting machine demonstrations for candidates, poll workers, members of political parties and the general public
- coordinate through subordinate supervisors the work of a staff engaged in office and warehouse work related to the election process
- interpret pertinent sections of the Pennsylvania election code
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, political parties, City officials and the general public.
- express ideas effectively both orally and in writing
- supervise employees engaged in a variety of tasks pertaining to the election process
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 9/02.)
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Education equivalent to completion of the twelfth school grade supplemented by completion of a software training program on the Danaher Controls Guardian Election Management system which includes ballot configuration, data collection, ballot layout, materials production, election tally and election reporting.
- Three years of supervisory experience in set-up and processing for the city-wide election voting system.
- Two years of second level supervisory and administrative experience overseeing the work of a large staff of employees engaged in the storage, maintenance and repair of voting machines and the distribution of election materials.
Any equivalent combination of acceptable education and experience determined to be acceptable by the Personnel Department that has included the education and specific experience stated above.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND/OR CERTIFICATES
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this class.
- Possession of a valid proper class motor vehicle operator's license as issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania prior to appointment and during tenure of employment in this class if required by work assignment.
PAY RANGE: EP18
Class Established: 9/81
Latest Spec. Revision:
CSC: 7/02, Ad Board: 9/02
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 2M32