PAY RANGE: N13
ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES SUPERVISOR – Non-Confidential
This is administrative support work at the first supervisory level with responsibility for supervising a large clerical / technical staff. Employees typically work in a departmental division or a functional operations unit requiring a number of varied administrative office support services. Employees supervise a large specialized clerical / technical staff engaged in performing administrative support of a non-confidential nature that includes a variety of limited scope and complexity office management functions that are comprised of budget/accounting, personnel, purchasing, and records maintenance, and other clerical support services, as required. Supervisory positions in this class are distinguished from lower level supervisory clerical classes by the wider scope and complexity of work, the extent of supervision received, and the level of staff supervised. Interacting with vendors, departmental and divisional administrators and officials in other City departments and reviewing operating procedures and performance and making recommendation to improve efficiency are significant to the work. Work is performed under the supervision of an administrative or technical superior.
ALLOCATING FACTORS: (The following conditions must be met for a position to be allocated to this class.)
1. The position must supervise at the first supervisory level a large specialized clerical / technical staff engaged in performing administrative support of a non-confidential nature that includes a variety of limited scope and complexity office management functions comprised of budget/accounting, personnel, purchasing, and records maintenance, and other clerical support services, as required.
2. Only one position each will be allocated to a small departmental division or a large functional operations unit.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
Supervises a specialized non-confidential administrative and technical support function as typified by the following examples for level and scope of responsibilities, difficulty and complexity of work, and degree of independent judgment for resolving problems (examples are not all inclusive):
Plans, assigns, reviews and evaluates the activities of a large specialized clerical staff in the processing and examination of invoices and payment vouchers, the reconciliation of invoices and contracts, and recording of appropriate information; resolves extraordinary problems concerning discrepancies between invoices and contracts; trains and orients staff on policies and procedures; reviews operating procedures and performance; recommends changes to improve efficiency.
Supervises the provision of a number of administrative services within a small City division or a functional operations unit; plans, assigns, reviews, and evaluates the activities of a specialized clerical or technical staff providing administrative services including budget, personnel, purchasing goods and services and maintenance of appropriate records; researches, reviews and assembles preliminary and final budget for all appropriate classes of expenditure; supervises preparation and processing of encumbrance documents, expense vouchers, and personal service contracts; expedites processing of personnel transaction requests; may supervise maintenance of personnel and/or payroll records.
Performs within respective functional areas, assignments which are of limited scope and difficulty; analyzes a variety of reports, records and documents; interprets regulations and directives; explains procedures to appropriate officials and employees; prepares a variety of operational and activity reports as required; submits recommendations for review by superiors.
Performs related work as required.
· supervisory practices and techniques if required by assignment
· sources of information, methods, and techniques used in administrative research.
· interactive computer terminal entry and retrieval procedures.
· the uses and capacities of word processing and spreadsheet software programs such as Microsoft Word and Excel.
· organization and operations of City departments.
· business arithmetic
· business English and spelling
· administrative processes as they relate to administrative, technical or functional area assigned
· basic principles of municipal budgeting, purchasing bookkeeping, and personnel procedures
· research methods and data analysis
· learn departmental functions, operations, and organization, especially as they apply to the functions assigned
· supervise the activities of a staff performing specialized clerical or administrative support functions
· learn the provisions and routine interpretations of City and departmental regulations and ordinances and in detail those provisions and interpretations that relate to the job assignment
· learn the preparation and interpretation of a variety of narrative and statistical reports
· make judgmental decisions where several courses of action are presented
· understand and follow oral and written instructions
· present ideas effectively, both orally and in writing
· establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, departmental and central agency officials and the general public
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards that which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 1/12.)
Education equivalent to completion of the twelfth school grade.
Three years of experience in clerical work.
Two years of clerical or administrative experience at the level of Pay Range 13 or EP9.
NOTE: Successful completion of coursework from an accredited college or university may be substituted for the general experience on a year-for-year basis (30 credits equal one year).
THE FOLLOWING ARE EXAMPLES OF CLASSES THAT TYPICALLY MEET THE MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
Administrative Technician (EP 9)
Departmental Payroll Supervisor 2 (14)
Financial Technician (EP10)
Payment Processing Supervisor (14)
Hiring Services Assistant 2 (13)
Inventory Control Technician (15)
Payroll Examiner 2 (13)
Stores Supervisor (13)
Contract Clerk (17)
Clerical Supervisor 2 (13)
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this class.
Class Established: CSC – 12/11; Ad. Board – 1/12
Latest Spec. Revision: CSC – 9/16; Ad. Board – 10/16