CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
ADMINISTRATIVE TRAINEE 2
This is administrative or technical work of an advanced training nature, developing the knowledges and skills necessary for progression in one of the professional career series. This class is the second level of the two-level upward mobility series which, when completed, is equivalent to tenure in the management trainee class. Employees in this class continue to participate in a structured program of on-the-job training and classroom education leading to a four year bachelor's degree. Work assignments increase in responsibility and complexity as the employee gains experience and knowledge in the targeted occupational area.
Work is performed under the close supervision and guidance of an administrative or technical superior.
ALLOCATING FACTORS: (The following conditions must be met for a position to be allocated to this class.)
- Employees must be granted bachelor's degrees within five years of appointment to the class of Administrative Trainee 1.
- Employees must have completed at least 90 credits toward a bachelor's degree commensurate with the requirements of the targeted occupation.
- Employees must maintain at least a "C" average in required coursework.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Receives on-the-job training in the principles, practices, objectives and techniques of one of the professional career series such as personnel, analysis or budget; performs assignments of increasing scope and difficulty within assigned functional area as related to the employee's stage in the training and development program; performs a variety of field and office tasks in the assigned discipline, such as gathering and analyzing data, recommending action and preparing reports and other materials; reads appropriate texts, manuals and regulations necessary to develop knowledges in assigned area.
- Participates in a bachelor's degree program and receives classroom instruction in the fundamentals, principles and practices of administration.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- English usage and grammar
- the principles, common practices and current developments in the field of public administration
- the organization and operations of City government
- administrative processes
- principles of report writing
- the principles, practices and standards required in the administration field to which assigned
- uses and applications of personal computers and current standard software packages used for word processing, database manipulations, and preparation of spreadsheets
- make judgmental decisions where several courses of action are presented
- collect, compile and present data to perform analyses
- present ideas effectively, both orally and in writing
- understand and follow written or oral instructions
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and the general public
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 01/04.)
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Completion of three years of coursework [90 credits] at an accredited college or university.
- One year of experience as an Administrative Trainee 1.
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of
a position in this class.
PAY RANGE: EP10
Class Established: 1/85
Latest Spec. Revision:
CSC: 12/03, Ad Board: 01/04
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 2L07