CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
ADMINISTRATIVE TRAINEE 1
This is administrative or technical work of a training nature, developing the knowledges and skills necessary for advancement in one of the professional career series. This class is the first level of the two-level upward mobility series which, when completed, is equivalent to tenure in the management trainee class. An employee in this class participates in a structured program of on-the-job training and classroom education leading to a four year bachelor's degree. Entrance to a degree program prior to appointment, and continued enrollment and successful completion of required coursework within specific time periods are essential aspects of the class. Work is performed under the close supervision and guidance of an administrative or technical superior.
ALLOCATING FACTORS: (The following conditions must be met for a position to be allocated to this class.)
- The position must contain sufficient scope and breadth of professional responsibility to warrant promotion to the full-performance level of the targeted occupation.
- Employees must have completed a bachelor's degree program or be enrolled in a degree program commensurate with the requirements of the targeted occupation.
- Employees must maintain at least a "C" average in required coursework.
- Employees must acquire bachelor's degrees within five years of appointment to this class.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Functions in a training capacity and receives on-the-job instruction to develop knowledges and skills in the principles, practices, objectives and techniques of one of the professional career series; performs assignments of limited scope and difficulty within assigned functional area as related to the employee's stage in the training and development program; reads appropriate texts, manuals and regulations necessary to develop knowledges in assigned area.
- Participates in a bachelor's degree program and receives classroom instruction in the fundamentals, principles and practices of report writing, data processing, and other disciplines required for successful completion of targeted degree program.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- English usage and grammar
- Uses and applications of personal computers and current standard software packages used for word processing, database manipulation, and preparation of spreadsheets
- learn and apply the principles, practices and standards required in the professional field to which assigned
- learn departmental functions, operations, and organization, especially as they apply to the unit in which assigned
- learn provisions and interpretations of City and departmental regulations and ordinances and, in detail, those provisions and interpretations that relate to the job assignment
- make judgmental decisions where several courses of action are presented
- collect, compile and present data to perform analyses
- present ideas effectively, both orally and in writing
- understand and follow written and oral instructions
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and the public
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 01/04.)
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Completion of two years [60 credits] of coursework from an accredited college or university which is applicable towards a four year degree.
- Three years of current clerical experience in a City department, two of which have been at pay range 9 or above.
- Completion of three years [90 credits] of coursework at an accredited college or university which is applicable towards a four year degree.
- Three years of current clerical experience in a City department, one of which has been at pay range 9 or above.
- Completion of a bachelor's degree program at an accredited college or university.
- Three years of current experience in a City department.
Successful candidates must provide proof of enrollment in a bachelor's degree program (or proof of graduation from an acceptable bachelor's degree program) in order to be appointed to a position in this class.
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of
a position in this class.
PAY RANGE: EP9
Class Established: 1/85
Latest Spec. Revision:
CSC: 12/03, Ad Board: 01/04
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 2L06