CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
HIRING SERVICES SUPPORT SUPERVISOR
This is supervisory and technical hiring services support work in a hiring team in the City's Personnel Department. Employees in this class supervise and participate in the performance of scheduling, administration, and scoring of exams and certification and management of eligibility lists. Employees in this class also perform and supervise job design support work, such as review of questionnaires and preparation of Civil Service Commission meeting agendas. These employees serve as their assigned hiring team's primary expert in hiring support services and are recognized as departmental support experts.
Significant aspects of the work include ensuring conformance to relevant departmental standards and civil service rules and regulations for all ancillary assessment processes, and training and evaluating the work of subordinate staff to assure accuracy and appropriateness. These employees are also responsible for training other support staff throughout the department in performing hiring work. Work is performed under the supervision of a Hiring Services Manager.
ALLOCATING FACTORS: (The following conditions must be met for a position to be allocated to this class.)
- The positions in this class must supervise a staff of subordinate hiring service assistants engaged in the provision of hiring services support in the Personnel Department.
- The positions must train lower-level assistants in the scoring of examinations, certification and management of eligible lists, and in the provision of job design support work.
- Only one position will be allocated to each hiring team.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Plan, assign, schedule, and review the work of a staff engaged in a variety of hiring services support functions; train assistants in performing hiring services support work; provide training for support assistants on other hiring teams when necessary; train subordinates in Personnel Department policies and procedures and Civil Service Regulations and ensure work is performed in accordance with such; assign work and prioritize to ensure target dates are met; review work of subordinates for accuracy and instruct on corrective measures when necessary; rate performance of subordinates and complete performance review reports.
- Monitor all assessment and job design work performed by team members to ensure records are maintained accurately; report and resolves discrepancies between planned work and actual work; receive assignment tracking sheets from team members showing projected and planned action on assignments; enter and update assignment projections into the Work Request System and SIGMA system; maintain and prepare weekly reports for Hiring Services Managers' review on the status of assignments being performed by team members; ensure SIGMA master records are maintained accurately; notify Hiring Services Manager of discrepancies; ensure documentation submitted by team members for test scoring is completed appropriately.
- Coordinate or supervise the coordination of Civil Service Commission meeting agenda preparation for hiring team; notify team members of agenda preparation schedule and deadlines; review agenda listings and ponies for accuracy and proper format; submit listings to portfolio managers; assemble draft class specifications for union review; prepare agenda folders and submit to portfolio managers; serve as job design coordinator for team; request position classification questionnaires for maintenance surveys and forward to appropriate analyst; approve routine requests in WRS; request information on requested positions in WRS; update portfolio managers on classification activity for team; proofread draft class specifications and correct copies prior to finalization; maintain database of classification activity.
- Assign test scoring work to subordinates; ensure that all records and documentation are accounted for and that confidentiality and security of exam materials are not compromised; ensure test scoring is performed expeditiously and meets target dates; review work of assistants to ensure accuracy; perform seniority checks for own and other teams; prepare supplemental lists to rectify data errors or resolve appeals.
- Maintain a portfolio of assigned lists for certification of eligible candidates for hire by client departments; supervise lower-level assistants responsible for list management; ensure candidates are referred in accordance with Civil Service Regulations; ensure that certification work is performed in accordance with departmental policies/procedures and regulations; maintain contact with client departments in order to meet hiring needs; notify Hiring Services Manager when list is nearing exhaustion.
- Manage assigned assessment projects from announcement to list establishment; prepare public announcements for assessment projects; receive and review applications for assessment projects; determine eligibility of applicants and approve or disapprove based on established training and experience requirements; notify applicants of approval or disapproval; explain reasons for disapproval to affected applicants; administer tests; score candidates based on minimum training and experience standards; perform the necessary test scoring work and establish civil service eligible list.
Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- English grammar, spelling and oral communication
- Basic arithmetic functions - addition, subtraction, multiplication and division
- Civil Service placement and selection processes used in municipal government
- Current personnel record keeping practices and techniques utilized by the City of Philadelphia municipal government
- Civil Service rules and regulations related to processing applications, test administration, maintenance of eligible lists, certifications and appointments
- Operational rules and procedures that apply to test scoring, certification, and placement processing in the City of Philadelphia municipal government
- Standard computer software packages used for word processing, spreadsheet, and database management
- Personnel Department-specific information systems, such as the SIGMA database system, the Work Request System, HRS, and TN1
- Civil Service job design processes and procedures
- Supervise subordinate staff engaged in hiring services support work
- Adapt to changing priorities
- Compose simple correspondence or other written work
- Review and/or approve applications or requests
- Recommend solutions to routine problems
- Score civil service examinations
- Manage civil service eligible lists and perform certification procedures
- Interpret and apply civil service rules and regulations relevant to assignment areas
- Monitor the work of support staff to ensure deadlines are met
- Identify training needs of subordinate staff
- Train others in all aspects of hiring services support procedures, particularly in list certification and test scoring
- Analyze and interpret routine information
- Contact others to obtain information
- Respond effectively in writing to inquiries and requests
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and departmental representatives
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved 1/04.)
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Education equivalent to the completion of the twelfth school grade.
- Three years of experience providing hiring process support services, which has included test scoring and certification.
- Two years of experience at the Hiring Assistant II level, performing all hiring support services proficiently including test scoring, list management, test administration, applicant eligibility review, job design and classification support and all other general support services.
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of
a position in this class.
PAY RANGE: EP14
CSC: 5/99, Ad Board: 8/99
Latest Spec. Revision:
CSC: 5/03, Ad Board: 1/04
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 2H16