CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
FOOD PROGRAM FINANCIAL RECORDS SPECIALIST
This is food program financial monitoring work maintaining the financial records and
preparing summary financial reports and the budget for the City's summer food program. The
employee in this class coordinates the financial reporting for the program between the City and
State agencies for funding purposes. Supervising clerical personnel, inspecting food distribution
sites for adherence to program guidelines, and preparing financial records to obtain reimbursements are significant aspects of the work. The employee in this class reports to an administrative superior.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Reviews food program site and vendor documents to insure that all data is correctly and
consistently recorded according to State, City, and summer program guidelines.
- Reviews and reconciles financial records maintained by clerical personnel; prepares
budget for the summer program based on estimates of previous year's expenditures; posts
financial data to journals, ledgers and control summaries; makes summer program financial
records available for independent audit.
- Maintains, through a small subordinate clerical staff, the statistical data on summer food
program services and costs; reviews and reconciles financial records maintained by clerical
- Examines summer program financial reporting procedures and practices and modifies
them to conform to City, State and summer program guidelines.
- Inspects site operation for conformance to summer program guidelines; contacts site
supervisor and vendor to resolve complaints and problems concerning food delivery and service.
- Recruits site supervisors; meets with interested individuals, neighborhoods, community
and civic groups and representatives of other agencies to elicit cooperation with summer program
operations in the community.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
the regulations, rules and guidelines applicable to the financial records maintenance of
the summer food program.
- financial record keeping principles, practices and procedures.
- local community, civic and social organization as well as other resources for recruiting
- the maintenance of accurate and complete financial records.
prepare substantiating financial and administrative documentation necessary for food
- analyze financial records and make budget projections.
- prepare reports, both orally and in writing.
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, neighborhood
workers, and the general public.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
(The following statement
represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject
applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based
on training and experience requirements as approved on 3/88.)
Or any equivalent combination of education and experience determined to be acceptable
by the Personnel Department.
- Completion of an associate degree or equivalent certificate program from an accredited
college or university which has included at least six (6) semester hours of accounting.
- Three (3) years of financial record keeping experience which has included reviewing
source documents, and preparing summary financial reports for a summer food program.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this class.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS, AND/OR CERTIFICATES
- Possession of a valid proper class motor vehicle operator's license as issued by the
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania prior to appointment and during tenure of appointment as a
Food Program Financial Records Specialist if required by work assignment.
PAY RANGE: EP11
Class Established: 3/1988
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 2A89