CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
ACCOUNTING TRANSACTIONS SUPERVISOR
( General Fund )
(Special Fund )
( Third Party Reimbursement )
This is supervisory level accounting work with responsibility for a major phase of a general or specialized accounting fund or third-party reimbursement activity. Employees in this class are responsible for supervising staffs of accounting and clerical subordinates engaged in the review, recording, and analysis of a high volume of accounting transactions for accounts payable or accounts receivable, or for supervising accountants, auditors, and clerical employees engaged in the recording, analysis, audit and compilation of all accounting transactions and reports for the aviation, water operating or water capital funds. Preparation of a variety of accounting reports and statements and maintenance and revision of accounting systems are significant aspects of the work. Employees are supervised by a higher level technical or administrative manager.
ALLOCATING FACTORS: (The following conditions must be met for a position to be allocated to this class.)
- An employee must direct a high volume accounts receivable and/or accounts payable function in a central finance agency (Finance; Treasurer's Office; Revenue) for the General Fund specialty.
- An employee must direct accounting transactions for the Water Department operating or capital fund, or for the Aviation fund, for the Special Fund specialty.
- An employee must direct a high volume accounts receivable function - for the third-party reimbursement function for the Third Party Reimbursement specialty.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
GENERAL FUND SPECIALTY
- Directs, through subordinate accounting and clerical supervisors, the receipt, review and processing of expenditure documents, the review and analysis of accounting records and source documents, allocation of costs and the preparation of reports of financial status; develops new and revises existing accounting systems, procedures and techniques; analyzes accounting systems to determine which functions can be performed more effectively by utilization of computers; participates in development of computerized accounting programs; prepares reports and analyses on the status of accounting, funds and revenues; confers with departmental administrators to determine accounting requirements; explains implications of accounting reports and information for departmental administrators; confers with finance department officials to facilitate timely payments to contractors.
- Analyzes non-recurring financial matters; reviews accounting records, contracts, regulations and other documents; analyzes accounting processes and systems; determines problems in systems and procedures; prepares recommended solutions; prepares analyses and reports on findings; supervises the preparation of portions of the Department's financial statements.
- Works with data processing personnel to computerize municipal revenue and accounts payable systems; supervises the creation and maintenance of files; ensures that staff remain abreast of applicable municipal accounting and administrative laws and regulations; establishes priorities and deadlines as necessary.
- Performs related work as required
SPECIALTY FUND SPECIALTY
- Supervises the financial editing of all City accounting transactions, including the receipt, review and processing of expenditures, encumbrances and contracts, or the recording, adjusting, summarizing, and analyzing of receivables for a major revenue type, such as tax or water and sewer revenue.
- Supervises the analysis and posting of all accounts payable or receivable transactions for a City-wide accounting operation; supervises and participates in the preparation of reports and statements on the status of accounts, funds receivables, and revenues; provides technical assistance to subordinates; coordinates and monitors the work of the units engaged in processing accounting transactions; identifies problems in the work flow; establishes new or modifies existing procedures to facilitate the processing and recording of financial transactions.
- Supervises accounting and clerical staff overseeing cash receipts and disbursements recording in the Treasurer's group of accounts in FAMIS; ensures that bank accounts are reconciled and that general disbursements, payroll, pension and all other disbursements are covered with required level of funds; supervises case management, determining the daily cash needs and makes bank wire transfers to cover disbursements; prepares weekly consolidated cash position report for the PICA agency; analyzes investment accounts on a monthly basis to determine the interest earned and for future projections of interest revenue.
THIRD PARTY REIMBURSEMENT SPECIALTY
- Supervises the preparation of billing for townships using department services and facilities, cost accounting and fixed asset accounting and preparation of department payroll; supervises the maintenance of accounting records and ledgers for the water fund; supervises grant accountants who determine and document eligible costs for federal and state grant programs.
- Supervises the maintenance of accounting ledgers and journals for airport revenues and expenditures, the maintenance of airport concessionaire contract reporting files and the maintenance of the accounts receivable records on airport businesses; supervises the preparation of invoices, the calculation of proper charges determined by lease and contract and the allocation of those revenues to the proper cost center; supervises the development of the supporting basis including accruals and deferrals, determines whether an item is an accrual or a deferral.
- Supervises the ongoing auditing and monitoring of airlines' financial status and the status of other large tenants; oversees staff and consultants; prepares financial work papers and audit programs; oversees the review of all airport contracts for services and tenants; reviews analysis and recommendations of auditor.
- Supervises the preparation of annual financial statements, develops financial statements; prepares income statement of operation converting the accounting method from fund accounting to generally accepted accounting practices.
- Supervises the administration of federal and state funding resources available to the children under the care and supervision of the department.
- Supervises the accounting transactions, including accounts payable and receivable to third party agencies for the care and services of children under the department's jurisdiction for a City-wide accounting operation; coordinates and monitors the workflow of the units engaged in processing accounting transactions to ensure these transactions are accurate and performed in a timely manner; resolves any problems that may occur with these transactions.
- Supervises the determination of eligibility of children for medical assistance and Title IV-E (placement maintenance) programs, and for Social Security and Supplemental Security Income; supervises the accounting transactions associated with disbursement of these funds received for children under the department's jurisdiction.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- principles and standards of municipal accounting
- standards, guidelines and requirements for governmental accounting as set forth in statements of the Governmental Accounting Standards Board
- the uses of computer software for general accounting and financial reporting
- the principles and procedures used in the analysis, maintenance, development and installation of accounting systems, methods and procedures
- principles, practices and procedures of fund accounting
- supervisory methods and techniques
SPECIAL FUND SPECIALTY
- revenue fund and expenditure accounting
- the principles and practices of methods and procedures analysis
- the principles, practices and techniques of contract auditing
- principles and practices used in preparation of financial statements
- preparing a variety of comprehensive accounting statements and reports
- examining and analyzing financial records
- the maintenance of accurate and complete accounting records
SPECIAL FUND SPECIALTY
- assigning costs to different classes of expenditures to determine appropriate rates for customers and tenants
- analyze and comprehend organizational and procedural problems and to make cogent recommendations for improvement
- supervise a staff of professional accountants, technical, and clerical employees
- interpret and analyze financial reports and statements
- analyze statistical and narrative financial reports and draw logical conclusions from financial reports
- prepare a variety of comprehensive accounting statements and reports
- utilize a personal computer in the maintenance of records and in preparation of reports
- interpret and apply city-wide accounting procedures, directives, and guidelines and ensure compliance with same
- direct the work of consultants
- express ideas effectively both orally and in writing
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 12/00.)
Or any equivalent combination of education and experience determined to be acceptable by the Personnel Department, which has included a bachelor's degree in accounting and the Specific Experience described above as a minimum.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Completion of a bachelor's degree program at an accredited college or university, with major course work in accounting.
- Three years of full performance level accounting experience.
- One year of accounting or budget supervisory experience, which has included recording of financial transactions and the preparation of financial reports or grants analysis work for a City department.
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of
a position in this class.
PAY RANGE: EP22
Class Established: 1/53
Latest Spec. Revision:
CSC: 10/00, Ad Board: 12/00
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 2A08