CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
EMPLOYEE BENEFITS ASSISTANT
This is advanced level specialized clerical work administering employee benefit programs for the City's central human resources department. Employees are responsible for employee enrollments, orientation, changes and terminations, claims assistance and review, interpretation of procedures and coordination with carriers and providers. The employees are responsible for maintaining a computer database that contains data on employees, beneficiaries, dependents, coverage, and flexible benefits elections. The employees assist the Benefits Administrator on various projects and provide backup for all other benefits unit employees. The class has frequent contact with employees and their beneficiaries and dependents, to answer benefit questions, and contact with benefits providers to obtain and exchange information. Employees report to a clerical or administrative benefits supervisor.
EXAMPLES OF BENEFIT PROGRAMS ADMINISTERED (subject to change at any time):
ALLOCATING FACTORS: (The following conditions must be met for a position to be allocated to this class.)
- Flexible Benefits Plan
- City Administered Medical Plans
- Employee and Dependent Life Insurance/AD&D
- Dental, Optical and Prescription Options
- The positions in this class are responsible for providing the full range of clerical support functions for all benefits programs administered by the City of Philadelphia Personnel Department.
- Employees in this class must demonstrate knowledge of all benefits programs administered by the City of Philadelphia Personnel Department and be capable of providing all clerical support functions for the benefits programs.
- Positions will be approved for the Personnel Department only.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Reviews a large volume of forms submitted by employees, ex-employees, employee dependents and beneficiaries, and departmental officials to verify status and to determine eligibility to receive benefits;
- Reviews flex form to check for accuracy in the computation of taxable cash, payroll deductions, flexible spending accounts, taxable gross;
- Combines information gathered from the computer payroll system with information from the operating departments regarding sick usage to determine eligibility and to compute benefits;
- Calculates adjustments, such as medical premiums or imputed life insurance based on IRS rules and rate tables;
- Corrects errors in enrollment forms, or notifies operating department officials to correct errors.
- Processes a large volume of transactions concerning enrollment, determination of start and termination dates, changes in employment status, union membership, dependants or beneficiary, and cancellation for a variety of benefits programs, such as medical, dental, prescription, and optical plans, COBRA and the flexible benefits program;
- Adjusts employee pay based on elections and adjustments, using direct input access to payroll;
- Transmits enrollment, change and termination data to benefit providers through electronic media such as e-mail, the Internet or remote computer access of provider databases.
- Enters data into computer database;
- May lead team in entering data into system;
- Maintains computer software system, such as Power Plus, which contains benefits data, including data on employees, beneficiaries, dependents, coverage, and flexible benefits elections;
- Retrieves data from computer database and prepares and distributes a variety of reports and spreadsheets, using software packages such as Word, WordPerfect, Excel, Access PowerPlus, COBRA eas and PowerPoint.
- Notifies providers of new enrollments and changes in status;
- Provides supporting documentation and verifies eligibility of current and past employees for carriers, hospitals and doctors;
- Contacts providers and central agencies to resolve benefit and payroll problems.
- Receives checks from COBRA participants and records receipt of check in database;
- Monitors status of COBRA accounts;
- Notifies participants of account cancellation if account is determined to be delinquent.
- Processes and distributes Health Insurance Portability and Accountability (HIPPA) certificates;
- Insures that all Fair Share employees who have elected City Administered benefits are covered and canceled during the required time period.
- Responds to request for information from departmental personnel representatives, plan sponsors, providers, employees and their beneficiaries and dependents;
- Interviews employees and their beneficiaries and dependents;
- Explains benefit options, coverage and costs to employees;
- Distributes forms and information on processing claims to employees and their beneficiaries and dependents;
- Provides guidance to departmental personnel representatives to assure that they obtain the appropriate forms and supporting documentation as required;
- Prepares correspondence to carriers and plan participants;
- Resolves problems related to eligibility and claims issues.
- Provides guidance and assists in the training of lower level clerical personnel.
- Rotates between assignments for a variety of benefits programs.
- Performs, or assists in the work of other Benefits unit staff in response to fluctuations in workload and to cover absences.
- Performs all support functions proficiently and independently;
- Mentors and coaches lower level support staff;
- Demonstrates ability to perform work of increasing difficulty and complexity as experience is gained;
- Consistently meets department and professional quality standards when carrying out assigned tasks;
- Consistently meets production requirements and fulfills commitments to colleagues, team leader (supervisor), and clients.
- Performs related work a required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Word processing, spreadsheet, database and presentation graphics software or similar programs, such as Word, WordPerfect, Excel, Access PowerPlus, COBRA-eas and PowerPoint.
- Civil Service rules and regulations pertaining to employee benefits.
- Central personnel agency and provider procedures pertaining to employee benefits.
- Computer database utilized by the City, including data entry methods and data retrieval capabilities.
- Laws pertaining to employee benefits.
- Apply Civil Service rules and regulations consistently and correctly.
- Enter, retrieve and utilize data on computer terminals.
- Use personal computers and software.
- Perform arithmetic calculations.
- Interpret Civil Service rules and regulations and benefit program procedures to other staff members, representatives of operating departments and clients.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, departmental personnel representatives and the general public.
- Train other clerical staff.
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 12/00.)
- Equivalent to the twelfth school grade.
- Three years of clerical experience in the central personnel agency performing assignments for a variety of employee benefits programs.
Or any equivalent combination of education and experience determined to be acceptable by the Personnel Department that has included the specific experience described above.
- One year specialized clerical work at the full performance level in the central personnel agency performing complex assignments in support of a variety of employee benefits programs, completing a variety of benefits transactions and providing services on a Citywide basis.
CLASSES THAT TYPICALLY MEET THE EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS FOR THIS CLASS:
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Clerk III (1A04)
- Personnel Support Services Clerk II (1B58)
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of
a position in this class.
PAY RANGE: 12
CSC: 4/00, Ad Board: 12/00
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 1B59