CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
( Automotive )
( General )
This is second supervisory level supply management work directing the operation of a
centralized supply distribution program for a department or a supply distribution operation with
multiple field distribution sites for a department or a division. An employee in this class directs
and plans requisitioning, receiving, storing and distribution activities for general commodities
or automotive parts supply items. Employees in smaller departments may supervise both
Automotive and General stores programs. Work includes the responsibility for planning and
assigning various phases of the stores functions for at least five stores employees through
subordinate Stores Supervisor(s). Providing technical support and guidance to departmental
managers is a significant aspect of the work. Work is performed under the supervision of an
(The following conditions must be met for a position to be approved for this class.)
The position must direct either:
- a multiple site stores distribution program for a
department or a division; or
- a centralized supply distribution program for a department
in the area of specialization.
- The position must direct through subordinate stores supervisor(s).
- The position must supervise stores activities through at least six (6) subordinates.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Plans, coordinates and assigns requisitioning, receiving, and distributing functions of a
supply distribution program or operation through subordinate stores supervisor(s); tours work
areas and observes the work of personnel engaged in the various phases of the stores and
recordkeeping operation; trains and supervises the training of stores personnel in stores
procedures and practices; confers with subordinate supervisors and recommends corrective
actions; directs the taking of physical inventories such as facilities maintenance equipment,
automotive parts and general commodities, and the maintenance of inventory recordkeeping
systems; reviews, approves, and modifies departmental stock requisitions and oversees
dispensing of requested items.
- Estimates the minimum and maximum storage levels for stock items; initiates stock
replenishment orders; assures that all deliveries are proper; reviews receiving reports.
- Reviews and revises existing storeroom procedures; implements new procedures to
provide more economic and efficiency operating practices; reorganizes stores areas to achieve
efficient arrangement of stock and determines optimum utilization of available space.
- Monitors and enforces the security of inventoried items.
- Researches and writes specifications for materials and supplies; administers competitive
bidding process for small order purchases.
- Ascertains those items to be considered common use items which would be stocked and
issued from the central stores operation; aids in the compilation of the common use stock
catalog; data enters and/or supervises the data entering of information on a computerized
inventory tracking system.
- Performs related work as required.
Performs Duties in One of the Following Specialties
- The stores operation includes a variety of automotive parts used in all echelons of the
maintenance and repair of automotive vehicles.
- The stores operation contains a varied, comprehensive stock of materials and supplies.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- principles, practices and methods used in determining minimum and maximum storage
levels for stock items.
- supervisory methods and techniques.
- large scale storeskeeping and stock control principles, practices and methods.
- a variety of materials and supplies in the area of specialization.
- the principles and practices of receiving, storing and issuing materials, supplies and
- the methods and procedures involved in taking inventory.
- purchase and requisitions procedures.
- determining minimum and maximum storage levels of stock items and the optimum use
of storeroom space.
- interpreting source documents such as invoices and material issue slips.
- preparing requisitions based on information provided on purchase orders and utilizing the
city-wide vendor's list.
supervise a large stores operation.
- plan, organize and manage a large stores operation.
- effect maximum utilization of assigned storeroom space and personnel.
- establish minimum and maximum stock requirements.
- enforce measures used in the security of inventoried items.
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and vendors.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
(The following statement
represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject
applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based
on training and experience requirements as approved on 1/68.)
- Education equivalent to completion of the twelfth school grade.
- Three years of experience receiving, storing and issuing inventoried items.
- Two years of experience supervising the receiving, storing and issuing of supplies in the
area of specialization.
Or any equivalent combination of education and experience determined to be acceptable
by the Personnel Department that has included the specific experience described above.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this class.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS, AND/OR CERTIFICATES
- Possession of a valid proper class motor vehicle operator's license as issued by the
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania prior to appointment and during tenure of employment as a
Stores Manager if required by work assignment.
PAY RANGE: 17
Class Established: 1/1968
Latest Spec. Revision: 1/1991
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 1F10