CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
( Automotive )
( General )
This is supply distribution work supervising a storeroom for a division or a department. An employee
in this class performs and assigns various phases of the receipt, storage, distribution and recordkeeping
activities for general commodities of automotive parts supply items. Work includes the responsibility for
planning, assigning and reviewing the work of a group of stores employees engaged in all phases of storeroom
activities. Supervising inventory activities, estimating stock requirements, and setting proper minimum and
maximum stock levels are significant aspects of the work. Work is performed under the general supervision
of an administrative superior.
(The following conditions must be met for a position to be approved for this class.)
- The position must supervise a storeroom operation for a departmental or divisional distribution field site
in the area of specialization.
- The position must supervise a group of at least (2) two stores personnel.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Plans, assigns, reviews and participates in the receiving, storing and issuing of equipment, materials
and supplies; oversees and participates in taking periodic inventory of items such as facilities maintenance
equipment, automotive parts and general commodities, in a storeroom area; supervises the maintenance of
various stock records; data enters and/or supervises the data entering of information on a computerized
inventory tracking system; trains employees in receiving, storing and issuing procedures; may supervise inmates
receiving and storing goods if required by work assignment.
- Estimates stock needs and sets the proper minimum and maximum amounts needed for each item
stocked; assigns the preparation of or prepares the necessary requisitions for stock replacement; inspects items
received for conformance to purchase orders and general specifications and contract requirements; reviews and
approves receiving reports.
- Contacts vendors to expedite deliveries; contacts various departmental personnel to give and receive
needed stores information.
- Performs related work as required.
Performs Duties In One of the Following Specialties
- The storeroom includes a variety of automotive parts used in all echelons of the maintenance and repair
of automotive vehicles.
- The storeroom contains a varied, comprehensive stock of materials and supplies.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- the principles and practices of receiving, storing and issuing materials, supplies and equipment.
- the methods and procedures involved in taking inventory.
- a variety of materials and supplies in the area of specialization.
- purchase and requisition procedures.
- principles, practices and methods used in determining minimum and maximum storage levels for stock
- determining minimum and maximum storage levels of stock items.
- interpreting source documents such as invoices, and materials issue slips.
- preparing requisitions based on information provided on purchase orders and utilizing the city-wide
- supervise and train stores, labor, and clerical employees engaged in all aspects of stores work.
- establish minimum and maximum stock requirements.
- inspect materials and supplies in relation to purchase orders and specifications.
- maintain effective working relationships with associates and vendors.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
(The following statement represents the
minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests.
Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience
requirements as approved on 2/68.)
- Education equivalent to completion of the twelfth school grade.
- One year of experience receiving, storing and issuing inventoried items.
- Two years experience of full performance stores work receiving, storing and issuing inventoried items.
Or any equivalent combination of education and experience determined to be acceptable by the Personnel
Department that has included the specific experience as indicated above.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS, AND/OR CERTIFICATES
- Possession of a valid proper class motor vehicle operator's license as issued by the Commonwealth of
Pennsylvania prior to appointment and during tenure of employment as a Stores Supervisor if required by work
PAY RANGE: 13
Class Established: 2/1968
Latest Spec. Revision: 1/1991
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 1F08