CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
COMPUTER CONSOLE OPERATOR II
This is data processing work as a lead computer operator operating a computer console and
peripheral equipment on an assigned or rotating shift in a large scale mainframe with a multiple CPU and
multiple operating system environment. An employee in this class is responsible for monitoring an
operating system console and central processing unit for system or network failure, diagnosing the failure,
and interacting with the computer system to respond to systems inquiries to effect system or network
recovery. Work is distinguished from the next lower class in that the employee assumes supervisory
responsibilities for resolving problems that interfere with production, maintaining production schedules,
and maximizing personnel and equipment utilization in the absence of a shift supervisor. Work is
performed under the supervision of a technical superior.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Monitors functioning of programs and computer equipment on operating system console;
determines point of program failure or equipment malfunction; interprets generated operating system
console messages; types into console appropriate operating system command to effect systems or network
recovery; adjusts printer, tape or disk drives or other equipment controls to attempt correction of
malfunctions; checks sequence of keypunch cards; checks for damaged tape.
- Assumes supervisory responsibility for computer room in the absence of shift supervisor;
maintains production schedules in computer room in supervisor's absence; attempts to solve program
problems or equipment breakdowns encountered by other computer operators; tests equipment to locate
the cause of work interruption or malfunction; reschedules job runs to avoid program problems or
malfunctioning equipment when supervisor is absent; ensures maximum utilization of personnel and
equipment during supervisor's absence.
- Adjusts controls on the console and other peripheral equipment to start job run; monitors main
console center to receive program messages and commands;interprets program messages and commands;
operates command console keyboard to respond to program messages and commands.
- Reads job control sheet and other instructions prior to starting assignment; places required
keypunch card and/or magnetic tape into card reader and/or tape drives; inserts proper form and run-off
sheet into the printer.
- Assembles completed job run for return to requesting authorities; collects processed cards and
set-up sheets; returns magnetic tapes to tape library.
- Performs teleprocessing circuit tests to determine source of failure; may replace terminal console
or its component parts if defective.
- Performs minor maintenance to equipment such as cleaning tape drives, cleaning tape heads, and
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- the operation of current electronic computers and related equipment, including disk communication and inquiry systems and terminal consoles.
- the principles, methods, and practices used in diagnosing computer system and network recovery.
- computer capabilities.
- operating systems such as VM and DOS/VSE or their equivalents.
- related software systems such as JASPER, COMTEN, CICS, POWER, VSAM, OMEGAMON,
DYNAM-D or their equivalents.
- the care and minor maintenance of computer equipment.
- read, interpret, and make appropriate responses to systems commands on a display console.
- analyze and correct operations problems.
- apply procedures to effect systems or network recovery.
- follow and understand written and oral instructions.
- learn supervisory methods and techniques.
- work within the confines of a time schedule.
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
(The following statement represents the
minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests.
Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience
requirements as approved on 8/83.)
- Successful completion of high school or equivalent.
- Three years experience in a large scale mainframe with multiple CPU and multiple operating
system environment operating a computer console and/or peripheral equipment, one year of
which must have been operating a computer console.
Or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this class.
PAY RANGE: 15
Class Established: 8/1983
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 1D23