CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
This is data processing work operating a computer console and peripheral equipment on an assigned or rotating shift in a large-scale mainframe with a multiple CPU and multiple operating system environment. An employee in this class is responsible for monitoring an operating system console and central processing unit for system or network failure, diagnosing the failure, and interacting with the computer system to respond to systems inquiries to effect system or network recovery. Work is performed under the supervision of a technical superior.
ALLOCATING FACTORS: (The following conditions must be met for a position to be allocated to this class.)
- Positions must be located in a computer mainframe environment.
- Employees in this class must perform diagnostic and liaison work related to system or network recovery.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Monitors functioning of programs and computer equipment on operating systems console; determines point of program failure or equipment malfunction; interprets generated operating system console messages; types into console appropriate operating system command to effect systems or network recovery; adjusts printer, tape or disk drive or other equipment controls to attempt correction of malfunction; checks for damaged tape.
- Adjusts controls on the console and other peripheral equipment to start job run; monitors main console center to receive program messages and commands; interprets program messages and commands; operates command console keyboard to respond to program messages and commands.
- Reads job control sheet and other instructions prior to starting assignment; places required magnetic tape and/or cartridges into drives; inserts paper form and run-off sheet into printer.
- Assembles completed job run for return to requesting authorities; returns magnetic tape to tape library.
- May perform teleprocessing circuit test to determine source of failure; may replace terminal console or its component parts if defective.
- Performs some minor maintenance to equipment such as cleaning tape drives, cleaning tape heads, replacing ribbons, and vacuuming filters.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- the operation of current electronic computer and peripheral equipment, including data communication and inquiry systems
- the principles, methods, and practices used in diagnosing computer system failure
- the principles and methods used to effect computer system and network recovery
- computer capabilities in a large scale mainframe with multiple CPU and multiple operating system environment
- the care and minor maintenance of computer equipment
- read, interpret and respond to system's command in the operation of an electronic computer system
- learn the relevant operating systems
- learn the procedures for use of related system software packages
- apply the most effective methods of machine operation within program framework
- follow and understand written and oral instructions
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 4/01.)
- Successful completion of high school or equivalent.
- Two years of experience in a large scale mainframe with multiple CPU and multiple operating system environment operating a computer console and/or peripheral equipment, or two years of experience in the operation of electronic computers and/or peripheral equipment in a minicomputer environment supplemented by formal training in operating systems, job control languages, and console operating procedures in the large scale environment.
Any equivalent combination of education and experience determined to be acceptable by the Personnel Department that has included the specific experience described above.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of
a position in this class.
PAY RANGE: 13
Class Established: 7/74
Spec. Revision and Title change: 8/83
Latest Spec. Revision and Class Code Change:
CSC: 12/00, Ad Board: 4/01
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 1D22