CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
This is routine clerical work performed in support of city-wide primary, general and special elections. Employees in this class perform a variety of clerical functions involving voter registration and the conduct of elections. Employees rotate among a variety of work assignments and locations due to the cyclical nature of election and voter registration work. A significant
aspect of the work is the training and supervision of a group of temporary clerical employees during election periods. Work is performed under the supervision of a clerical or administrative
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Obtains information from citizens such as name, address, age, and proof of citizenship;
types or writes such information on voter registration affidavit forms; personally signs and
obtains registrant's signature on voter registration forms; swears in voters; completes certificate
- Updates voter registration affidavit files; makes changes in affidavit as required by
removing old and placing new affidavit in files; files affidavits in the required by removing old
and placing new affidavit in files to remove names of deceased voters and those not voting in
the past two years; proofreads affidavits by batches for entry into computer data bank.
- Prepares and distributes packets of election materials to polling places and checks
- Receives absentee ballot requests and assigns ward and division codes; prepares
appropriate absentee ballot and mails it to voter.
- Receives and sorts mail; processes mail-in registration forms by proofreading for
completeness, stripping forms, and routing to data processing.
- Corrects illegible duplicate affidavits; applies bottom line labels to affidavits, denoting
ward and division.
- Proofreads ballots; assists in the official count of ballots.
- Receives request for poll watchers' certificates; checks for applicant's registration and
party affiliation; issues certificate where appropriate.
- Dispenses information in person, by letter, and on the telephone concerning voter
registration and elections to various officials and the general public.
- May provide clerical assistance in various areas such as personnel, inventory, and the
processing of payroll slips for election boards.
- Trains and supervises temporary employees in the performance of routine clerical duties
during peak work periods due to elections.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- office practices and procedures.
- the English language, spelling, and general clerical procedures.
- the election laws of Pennsylvania which pertain to the registration of voters and the
conduct of elections.
- making simple arithmetic computations.
- supervise temporary employees during peak workload times.
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and the general
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
(The following statement
represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 3/89.)
- Education equivalent to completion of the twelfth school grade.
- And six months of experience registering citizens to vote or in the preparation and conduct of primary, general and special elections.
General clerical experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year for year basis up to a maximum of two years.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this class.
PAY RANGE: 5
Class Established: 3/1989
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 1B54