CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
ELECTION AND VOTER REGISTRATION CLERK III
This is specialized clerical work supervising a staff engaged in the preparation and maintenance
of the required forms, records and other materials necessary for the conduct of primary, general and
special elections. Work involves answering a variety of questions concerning voter registration and
election procedures and laws.
Work is performed under the general supervision of a deputy commissioner. Assignments call
for evaluative thinking and are carried out in accordance with standard election code practices and general
work instructions. The incumbent participates with other supervisory personnel of the Election Bureau
in coordinating a variety of activities relative to the preparation and conduct of elections in the City of
(The following conditions must be met for a position to be approved for this class.)
- The employee must supervise a large clerical staff performing facilitating work in support of elections.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Plans, assigns and checks the work of a staff of employees engaged in checking, recording, processing and maintaining a variety of forms and records used in preparation for and during elections; designates and equipment operator to deliver election materials and supplies.
- Modifies various election forms such as petitions, voter registration certificates and ballot forms
to conform to current election requirements; submits rough drafts of the forms for printing and proofreads the galleys for corrections; authorizes the printing of same.
- Prepares specifications outlining the format for the advertisement of all election candidates, offices, polling places, constitutional amendments and loan questions; proof-reads galleys of same prior to submission for printing.
- Determines that all wards and divisions are supplied with the necessary forms and records necessary for the conduct of elections.
- Checks applications for absentee and military ballots to determine whether the applicant is properly registered and that the application conforms to requirements of the election code; prepares and files cards indicating the name and address of the applicants; checks military ballot forms for the completion of the proper affidavit; prepares a listing of absentee and military ballots received; incorporates the absentee and military ballot count with that of the civilian ballot.
- Answers a variety of inquiries regarding registration and election procedures and interprets the election code to public officials and other interested parties; confers with and records information from citizens reporting infractions of the election code.
- Separates election returns by ward and division; compiles records indicating votes cast for candidates on the ballot by ward and division; coordinates the mechanical activities involved in the conduct of the official election count.
- Instructs employees in new procedures to process election documents.
- Prepares official election certificates for winning certificates.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- the election laws of Pennsylvania, especially those sections pertaining to registration and conduct of elections.
- office practices and procedures.
- the geography of the City.
- supervisory methods and practices.
- interpret and apply pertinent sections of the election laws.
- supervise the work of a staff of clerical employees.
- make arithmetic computations.
- establish and maintain effective working relationship with public officials, associates and the public.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
(The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests.
Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 5/1993.)
- Education equivalent to completion of the twelfth school grade.
- One year of experience performing routine clerical work in the checking, recording and maintenance of forms and records necessary to the conduct of elections.
- Two years of experience performing a wide variety of specialized clerical functions in support of primary, general and special elections.
Or any equivalent combination of education and experience which has included the specific experience described above.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this class.
PAY RANGE: 13
Class Established: 3/1963
Latest Spec. Revision:
CSC - 5/1993 ; Ad Board - 7/1993
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 1B53