PAY RANGE: 9
This is specialized clerical work with responsibility for coordinating election activities and verifying information related to voter registration in support of primary, general, and special elections. Employees in this class perform a wide variety of specialized clerical functions to contribute to the preparation and conduction of elections by registering citizens to vote, receiving and checking petitions filed by candidates for political office and dispensing information on election laws. Gathering and compiling information to provide voters, the public, candidates and political party representatives with materials about election and voter registration processes and maintaining knowledge of applicable election laws are significant aspects of the work. Assignments are stable in nature and are carried out according to standard election code practices and general work instructions. Work is performed under the supervision of a technical supervisor.
ALLOCATING FACTORS: (The following conditions must be met for a position to be allocated to this class.)
1. Employees must perform work in the City Commissioner’s Office.
2. Employees must perform specialized clerical work in support of primary, general and special elections.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
Checks, records, processes and maintains a variety of forms and records used in preparation for and during primary, general and special elections; receives and checks petitions filed by candidates for political office for required signatures; ; informs petitioner of laws concerning the petition process and rejects incomplete or incorrect petitions; provides copies of petitions to challengers.
Processes candidate nominating petitions, puts accepted petitions in random order and prepares lists of candidates; submits list to printer and proofreads galleys; resubmits corrected copies to printer.
Receives, processes and completes absentee ballot requests and assigns ward and division codes; fills in appropriate absentee ballot requests and assigns ward and division codes; fills in appropriate absentee ballot form according to reasons for applying; sends out absentee ballots; prepares list of absentee voters; visits institutions to receive absentee ballots.
Maintains paper records; assists in the training of election boards officials; assists candidates, their representatives, elected officials, and the public with the election processes including the investigation of voter registration files; prepares Election Day materials; preparing poll watcher certificates,
Answers phones and provides information regarding voter registration schedule and locations and election hours and polling place locations; communicated information via telephone to remote voting sites; refers calls about machine breakdowns to machine shop; dispatches election material to polling places when shortages occur; assists in making polling places ADA accessible.
Receives election return sheets from machine tabulations and absentee ballots; checks for submission by all polling places and calls for missing material; organizes vote count sheet; performs the activities involved in the tabulation of the official election count.; certifies results and sends out copies.
Receives statement of financial interest and expense reports from candidates; checks forms for completeness; shows statements to authorized individuals; prepares report for District Attorney's Office listing candidates who did not file.
Processes paper and electronic voter registrations, enters, updates, and removes voter registration files in the Statewide Uniform Registry of Electors (SURE) database, processes voter registration cards and communicates with voters on their registration status Purges file to remove names of deceased voters and those not exercising voting privilege within the required time frame.
May supervise or provide technical direction to lower level clerical employees.
Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• applicable municipal, state, and federal election laws, rules and regulations pertaining to the registration and conduction of elections
• office practices and procedures
• making varied arithmetic computations with speed and accuracy
• interpret and apply pertinent sections of the election laws
• understand and carry out moderately complex oral and written instructions
• establish and maintain effective working relationships with public officials and the general public
• learn to utilize a centralized voter registration and election management system to enter, review and update voter information
• operate a computer terminal
• speak, read and write English
• provide technical direction to lower level clerical employees
• communicate effectively with voters, the public, candidates and political party representatives
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 5/13.)
Education equivalent to completion of the twelfth school grade.
One year of experience performing routine clerical or election support functions
One year of experience performing routine clerical or election support in one of the following areas:
1. Registering citizens to vote or preparing and conducting primary, general and special elections,
2. Maintaining the accuracy, completeness and integrity of computerized files and records related to voter registration or election services, OR
3. Preparing voting machine material and preparing, testing, troubleshooting and maintaining machinery related to voting or election services
Any equivalent combination of education and experience determined to be acceptable by the Office of Human Resources.
City of Philadelphia classes which typically qualify:
Data Services Support Clerk (1D41)
Election and Voter Registration Aide (1B61)
Election and Voter Registration Clerk 1 (1B51)
Election Assistant (1B54)
Trades Helper (Voting Machine Mechanic) (7H01)
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this class.
Class Established 1/59
Spec. Revision 10/80
Latest Spec. Revision:
Ad. Board: 5/13