CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
ELECTION AND VOTER REGISTRATION CLERK I
This is routine clerical work performed in support of city-wide primary, general and
special elections. Employees in this class perform one or more routine clerical tasks prior to
and after primary, general and special elections. Work involves registering citizens to vote,
proofreading, filing, posting, preparation of elections supplies for each polling site and checking
materials returned. The work is distinguished from other clerical classes in terms of dispensing
information on the registration process and the need to readily learn pertinent sections of the
elections law. Work is performed under the supervision of a clerical supervision or higher level
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Obtains information from citizens such as name, address, age, and proof of citizenship; types or writes such information on voter registration affidavit forms; personally signs and obtains registrant's signature on the voter registration forms; swears in voters.
- Completes certificates of registration by typing or writing in such information as the registrant's name, address and party affiliation.
- Updates voter registration affidavit files; makes changes in affidavit as required by removing old and placing new affidavit in file; files old affidavit in an inactive file; records changes by category (name, address, etc.) and reports on same.
- Purges files to remove names of deceased voters and those not voting in the past two years.
- Dispenses information over-the-counter concerning registrations to various officials and to the public.
- Posts pertinent information to watcher's certificates, certificates of election, registration streets maps, and official election count forms.
- Assists in the proofreading of galleys of sample and military ballots; addresses envelopes and maintains lists of military ballots distributed.
- Files and maintains official ballots and other materials open to public inspection.
- Assists in the official count of ballots.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- the English language, spelling and general clerical procedures.
- office practices and procedures.
- making simple arithmetical computations.
- interpret and apply pertinent sections of the election laws.
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and the general public.
- understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
(The following statement
represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 6/1984.)
- Education equivalent to completion of the twelfth school grade.
- And three months of experience registering citizens to vote or in the preparation and conduct of primary, general and special elections.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this class.
PAY RANGE: 4
Class Established: 1/1959
Latest Spec. Revision: 6/1984
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 1B51