CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
PAYROLL EXAMINER II
This is advanced payroll examination work in the review and verification of specialized
payroll transactions affecting the wages and deductions of employees in all city departments and
agencies. This class is distinguished from the next lower level in the series by the responsibility
for processing deductions and payments to Health and Welfare providers and for preparing
complex reconciliation/recapitulation reports involving simple accounting transactions.
Significant to the work is the ongoing responsibility for processing complex and complicated
payroll transactions including payroll change adjustments, increments, and payrolls for
multiple-rate employees, and the responsibility for correcting the work of lower level Payroll
Examiners. Work is performed under the supervision of a payroll supervisor.
(The following conditions must be met for a position to be approved for this class.)
- The position must be located within the Payroll unit of the central Finance Department.
- Work is advanced level payroll processing.
- Work performed must involve preparing complex reconciliation/recapitulation reports involving benefits or other complex payroll functions.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Receives listings of employees enrolled with various Health and Welfare providers; compares and verifies these listings with city listings; deletes and makes any corrections or deletions and documents reasons; reconciles number of employees, types of coverage, and amounts owed; prepares detailed reconciliation reports; prepares vouchers for payment; debits providers that may be overpaid; prepares invoice for controller's office.
- Reviews computer generated time sheets and attached supporting documents for changes from all city agencies; checks documents for accuracy and completeness; verifies changes in pay status including increments, promotions, terminations and others; makes the proper calculations for changes and enters correct pay codes and other information on line; reconciles any corrections with time records; calculates salaries and changes for employees being paid out of class; adds or deletes on time records names of employees who have been overpaid.
- Corrects the edit listing print out generated by data processing using updated information from the time record sheet, checks the work of other Payroll Examiners II and lower level
Payroll Examiners to assure accuracy; accesses the pay information systems and makes the final corrections on-line; meets on-going weekly deadlines in payroll processing.
- Examines payroll registers and duplicate information used to calculate employee checks; may generate a hand typed supplemental check if any errors are found; makes any corrections
to taxes and pensions; makes correction to payroll recapitulation sheet.
- Computes, verifies and updates payrolls for increments and longevity; inputs updates on-line to the system.
- Prepares special recapitulation reports for payroll and for pension payroll; compiles all of the information for entire payroll including payments to different organizations such as Health and Welfare providers, unions, credit unions and tax funds; reviews all payroll credit advices, enters them into the system and deducts monies owed the city.
- Receives and processes Payroll Credit Advices (PCA) from departments notifying them of overpayments to employees; checks department's figures and verifies overpayment; makes appropriate adjustment to employee's paycheck; if the employee has been terminated, recoups funds from employee's pension or contacts revenue to bill employee.
- Computes and processes awards to employees resulting from arbitration and other litigation; compiles all documentation and verification of outside earnings and other income; contacts workman compensation, social security administration, and state unemployment for verification; computes court award and applicable payroll deductions; computes deductions for outside earnings and income; issues a voucher for employee payment upon receiving approval from Payroll supervisor and Assistant Accounting Director.
- Prepares the Delinquent Tax Report; compiles information from BRT, Water, and Revenue; sets up deductions from employees' pay if applicable.
- Prepares complex reports for HMO, COBRA, and Flex benefits; resolves billing problems with providers by researching accounting books and records, and talking with department and provider representatives.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- business arithmetic.
- simple accounting practices.
- practices and procedures of processing for payroll and related records.
- regulations, policies and procedures relating to pay and the processing of payrolls.
- computer terminal operation.
- making varied arithmetic computations with speed and accuracy.
- the operation of office machines required by work assignment.
- maintain payroll and related records.
- learn to use mainframe and personal computer terminals to compile and produce reports
and input pay information.
- understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- maintain affecting working relationships with payroll personnel in other departments and
- meet deadlines consistently.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
(The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 2/1978.)
- Equivalent to completion of the twelfth school grade.
- Two years of clerical work.
- One year of experience at the full performance level of payroll processing work within the payroll unit of the Central Finance Department.
Or any equivalent combination of education and experience determined to be acceptable by the Personnel Department.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this class.
PAY RANGE: 13
Class Established: 2/1978
Latest Spec. Revision: 4/1991
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 1B22