CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
PAYROLL EXAMINER I
This is complex payroll examination and verification work. Employees in this class examine and verify all payroll deductions and wages paid to uniform, per diem, and salary employees in all departments and agencies of the City. The class is distinguished from those in other clerical areas by the need to continuously meet deadlines in processing payroll time records, edit listing and registers, and by the responsibility for regulations affecting pay and pay changes to representatives of other city agencies. Employees in this class work under the supervision of a Payroll Supervisor.
(The following conditions must be met for a position to be allocated to this class.)
- The positions must be located within the Payroll Unit of the Central Finance Department.
- Work must include the full range of payroll processing duties.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Receives computer generated time sheets and attachs supporting documents for changes from all city agencies; extends time on time records, totals all overtime and extends it into ten
day period; checks documents for accuracy and completeness and verifies that all changes in pay status and deductions are in keeping with Civil Service Regulations and other approved procedures; writes up appropriate paperwork for new appointments, verifies payroll numbers; changes codes for promotions, verifies against appointments papers, uses PRAB system to verify salaries; makes the proper calculations to compensate for changes in days; enter correct pay codes and other information on-line using the computer terminal; makes adjustments for any leave without pay; checks ledger books to verify that time is correct; reconciles any corrections with other time records; calculates salaries and changes for employees being paid out of class; adds or deletes time records of employees who have been overpaid.
- Corrects the edit listing print out generated by data processing using updated information from the time record sheets; checks the work of other Payroll Examiners to assure accuracy; accesses the pay information systems and makes the final corrections on-line; meets on going weekly deadlines in payroll processing.
- Examines the payroll registers and duplicate information used to calculate employee checks; if an error is found, may generate a hand typed supplemental check; makes any corrections to taxes and pensions; makes corrections to the recapitulation sheet.
- Updates payrolls for increments and longevity; verifies correct dates and amounts; inputs updates on-line to the system.
- Investigates and rectifies any error and/or changes in the Direct Deposit transactions; contacts banking institutions to recoup monies deposited in error and to resolve other problems
- Prepares folders and administers deductions as a result of court levies; prepares reports and answers questions from court personnel regarding payments, payroll, and employee status.
- Makes necessary calculations and adjustments to pay records for deferred compensation program; answers questions from Payroll Clerks, personnel staff, and employees.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- practices and procedures for the processing of payroll and related records.
- English language and spelling.
- computer terminal operation.
- making varied arithmetic computations with speed and accuracy.
- the operation of office machines required by work assignments.
- learn in detail, provisions of routine interpretations of City departmental regulations and ordinances as they apply to the preparation processing of City-wide payroll and related records.
- maintain payroll and related records.
- understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- maintain effective working relationships with payroll personnel in other departments and with associates.
- meet deadlines consistantly.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
(The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 10/1981.)
- Equivalent to completion of the twelfth school grade.
- One year of clerical work.
- One year in the preparation of computerized payroll and related records for a government agency or private business organization.
Or any equivalent combination of training and experience determined to be acceptable by the Personnel Department.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this class.
PAY RANGE: 11
Class Established: 4/1967
Latest Spec. Revision: 4/1991
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 1B21