CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
This is executive secretarial work with considerable administrative responsibilities. An employee in this class works independently on difficult or complex clerical tasks and demonstrates professionalism and confidentiality when handling sensitive matters. Work includes composing routine correspondence, interacting with departmental managers and administrators on behalf of employee's superior, and management of a variety of executive office clerical functions. Employees in this class report to a Commissioner or deputy-level executive.
ALLOCATING FACTORS: (The following conditions must be met for a position to be allocated to this class.)
- Employees in this class must report to either a department head, or deputy director, or to a deputy-level manager of a major division (EP28 or above) who reports to a department head.
- Only one position will be allocated to each of the positions described above.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Reads all incoming correspondence; routes correspondence not requiring superior's attention to proper officials or composes replies independently; documents all correspondence received on automated system; routes mail and superior's instructions to appropriate parties; follows-up on correspondence with response dates.
- Composes and types answers to routine requests for information under own or superior's signature; types a variety of correspondence, reports, and spreadsheets; responds to correspondence directed to superior; retrieves information to respond to correspondence from departmental or city-wide databases and logs.
- Schedules meetings; prepares material for meetings; keeps track of appointments manually or on automated system such as Lotus Organizer.
- Prepares complex clerical records and reports from a variety of material involving a knowledge of departmental practices and procedures and the use of difficult technical terminology; keeps clerical reports of a large number of employees; demonstrates confidentiality when handling sensitive reports and/or documents; composes and completes technical forms.
- Screens all phone calls; handles problems that may arise with vendors; may track payments for vendors; keeps records of all invoices; may keep records of special projects assigned to superior.
- Serves in a liaison capacity with other department officials, subordinate office staff, vendors and other department contacts.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- English grammar, spelling, punctuation, business formats and proper diction
- departmental rules, regulations, policies and procedures
- the uses and capabilities of word processing and spreadsheet software programs such as Word, Excel and Lotus organizer.
- interactive computer terminal entry and retrieval procedures
- department and city organizational structure
- departmental terminology and practices
- work independently on difficult or complex clerical tasks
- define and establish clerical procedures to accomplish work requirements.
- recognize and correct grammar and diction errors.
- maintain complex records to prepare accurate reports.
- exercise good judgment, courtesy, and tact in receiving office callers and in making proper disposition of problems
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with public officials, associates and the public
- operate standard office equipment, including software for word processing and spreadsheets
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 04/01.)
- Education equivalent to completion of the twelfth school grade.
- Two years of clerical experience
- Two years of experience in the class of Secretary, performing as primary secretary and reporting to a second-level supervisor at or above:
- pay range EP 24 in the EP Pay Plan or
- pay range 209 in the Police Pay Plan or
- pay range 309 in the Fire Pay Plan or
- pay range equivalent to EP 24 in the Law Department or District Attorney's Office
Experience in an equivalent City clerical class, which is commensurate with the primary secretarial function described above, will be considered acceptable by the Personnel Department.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of
a position in this class.
PAY RANGE: EP8
CSC: 2/99, Ad Board: 4/99
Latest Spec. Revision:
CSC: 01/01, Ad Board: 04/01
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 1A20