CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
POLICE DISTRICT CAPTAIN'S CLERK
This is secretarial and clerical processing work in a police district of the Police Department.
Employees in this class perform facilitating tasks for a Police Captain who is responsible for directing police activities in a geographical area. Employees in this class, schedule appointments, maintain administrative files, process licenses and permits, screen telephone and public inquiries and type correspondence. The work includes performing general office assignments including data entry, filing and office support. Ensuring that School Crossing Guards are kept abreast of duty status, time usage and other administrative processes is a significant aspect of the work. Work is performed under the direction of a Police Captain in a District.
ALLOCATING FACTORS: (The following conditions must be met for a position to be allocated to this class.)
- Employees in this class must report to a Police Captain who is responsible for directing police activities in a police district.
- Employees must perform facilitating tasks for a Police Captain involving office management and general clerical assignments.
- Only twenty-three employees can be allocated to this class, one for each of the twenty-three police districts.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Receives and screens visitors; routes to the appropriate section or person; answers questions or complaints relating to police district operations; provides information to the public regarding policies and procedures for filing applications, forms and licenses; processes forms, applications and licenses.
- Processes action reports; distributes request for research and investigations to the appropriate chain of command; maintains the Captain's schedule; files and retrieves reports maintained by the Captain.
- Composes and types answers to requests for information including verification of employment, mortgage inquiries and job status; gathers and prepares statistical and other requests for information made by Police Department officials and agency representatives.
- Prepares and distributes work schedules for School Crossing Guard employees assigned to a district; maintains daily time records for School Crossing Guards; prepares employees' time records for payroll; monitors sick leave usage.
- Utilizes office equipment including computer terminals and personal computers for word processing, data entry and retrieval, reports and recordkeeping; maintains the use and upkeep of administrative files; evaluates office procedures for possible changes and improvements.
- Orders supplies for the office; receives, sorts and distributes all mail to proper persons in the office.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- English grammar, spelling and punctuation
- standard formats for business correspondence, reports and records
- office practices, procedures, and standard office equipment
- make minor decisions in accordance with rules and regulations, and to apply these decisions to work problems
- perform recurring office routines independently and follow instructions
- use a computer or terminal keyboard for data entry and retrieval
- operate or learn to operate computer software for word processing and recordkeeping
- deal courteously and effectively with associates and the public
- speak, read and write English
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience requirements as approved on 6/05.)
- Education equivalent to the completion of the twelfth school grade.
- Two years of experience at the Clerk Typist 2 level or above in the Police Department which has included scheduling appointments, screening telephone calls and visitors and communicating information for a supervisor or manager.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of
a position in this class.
PAY RANGE: 8
Class Established: 12/95
Latest Spec. Revision:
CSC: 1/05, Ad Board: 6/05
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 1A19