CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
This is secretarial and associated clerical processing work. An employee in this class performs
facilitating tasks for a manager or an administrator by scheduling appointments, screening telephone calls
and visitors, and communicating information. Included in the work are general office tasks such as
typing, data entry, proofing, filing, office support and mail and message control.
(The following conditions must be met for a position to be approved for this class.)
- Employees in this class must report to second level supervisors at the level of Pay Range EP 24
or above in the EP Pay Plan, or Pay Range 209 or above in the Police Pay Plan or Pay Range
309 or above in the Fire Pay Plan, or attorneys in the Law Department or District Attorney's
Office who are paid at a level equivalent or higher than the maximum of Pay Range EP 24 and
who are second level supervisors.
- Employees must perform facilitating secretarial tasks for a principal involving correspondence,
office management, communication and reception functions.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Receives and screens visitors; routes to appropriate section or person; answers questions or
complaints relating to departmental operations; assists public in filling out forms and applications; gives
out information on departmental services and functions; commits principal's time by scheduling
appointments and conferences; takes messages and communicates information for the principal.
- Composes and types answers to routine requests for information for principal's signature;
transcribes dictation from tape; types a variety of correspondence, reports, tabulations, and other business
- Compiles reports, forms and summaries, frequently checking against a variety of records and
sources in order to secure complete and accurate information.
- Creates filing and retrieval systems for paper documentation and electronic databases to be used
in the categorizing, storage and retrieval of information.
- Checks requisitions, invoices, purchase orders and other papers and reports for accuracy and
completeness; logs in documents and forms; requests reproduction of documents; orders, receives, and
distributes office forms, supplies and equipment; inventories supplies.
- Receives, sorts, and distributes all mail to proper person in the office; maintains mailing lists.
- Operates standard office equipment and associated software for word processing and record-
keeping; uses computer terminal or personal computer to enter and retrieve data and compose reports.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
English grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- standard formats and conventions for business correspondence, reports and records.
- office practices, methods and equipment.
- speak, read and write English.
- perform recurring office routines independently.
- follow instructions.
- deal courteously and effectively with associates and the public.
- learn to enter and extract information on a computer terminal.
- learn agency procedures and routines and to anticipate their occurrence.
- type from taped dictation.
- operate or learn to operate standard office equipment including software for word processing and
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
(The following statement represents the
minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests.
Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based on training and experience
requirements as approved on 1/96.)
- Education equivalent to completion of the twelfth school grade.
- Two years of advanced clerical and typing experience which has included scheduling
appointments, screening telephone calls and visitors and communicating information for a supervisor or
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this class.
PAY RANGE: 8
CSC - 5/1994 ; Ad Board - 8/1994
Latest Spec. Revision:
CSC - 1/1996 ; Ad Board - 5/1996
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 1A18