CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
CLERK TYPIST I
( Bilingual )
( General )
This is routine typing and clerical work. Employees in this class perform clerical duties
at the beginning level. Employees in this class also perform routine typing of form letters,
memoranda, reports and other material, however, previous training or experience in typing is
required. The work includes operating standard office equipment. Work is performed under
the close supervision of a clerical or administrative supervisor.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Types articles, form letters, memoranda, reports, tabulations, checks and other material
from copy, rough draft, or dictating machine.
- Utilizes a computer or terminal keyboard for typing and routine data entry and retrieval
- Sorts and files correspondence, checks, vouchers, index cards, and other materials.
- Posts personnel payroll, equipment, or other records.
- Makes simple arithmetic calculations; computes data from requisitions, statistical reports,
time reports, or other records.
- Answers telephone and personal inquiries; routes visitors and calls; secures and gives out
- Operates computers, terminals, copiers, calculators, typewriters, switchboard, or other
- Performs the duties described above with member of the English language speaking and
designated non-English language speaking populations.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- business English, spelling, and arithmetic.
- make routine arithmetic computations and tabulations accurately and with
- learn assigned clerical tasks within a reasonable
- use a computer or terminal keyboard for typing and data entry and retrieval.
- understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- type from clear copy at a speed level and within accuracy limits established to
determine typing skills.
- understand and speak the designated non-English language fluently for the
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
(The following statements
represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject
applicants for tests. Applications submitted by candidates for this class will be reviewed based
on training and experience requirements as approved on 3/1997.)
- Equivalent to completion of the twelfth school grade.
Additional Requirement for the Bilingual Specialty
- Sufficient training and/or experience to be able to converse effectively in the designated
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this class.
PAY RANGE: 4
Class Established: 1/1953
CSC - 1/1997 ; Ad Board - 3/1997
END OF JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION - 1A11