Environmental Health Services
Body Art/Tattoo/Piercing Program
- We conduct routine sanitation/safety inspections of all shops that provide tattooing, piercing, and cosmetic makeup.
- We respond to and cease all operations at non-licensed shops when specific locations of these operations can be obtained.
- We issue and maintain records of all Certified Artists and Apprentices.
- We offer Bloodborne Pathogens training classes for body artists.
Body Artist/Apprentice Certification
There are two ways to become a Philadelphia Certified Body Artist:
You can provide legal documentation (i.e. tax records, publication of your work) that you were practicing prior to 2002.
You can apprentice under a Philadelphia Certified Body Artist in a Philadelphia Certified Shop for the following designated time spans:
- 3 years for tattooing (body and cosmetic makeup)
- 1.5 years for body piercing