Philadelphia City Branding Image
Private Criminal Complaint FAQ's
Where do I go to file a private criminal complaint?
The District Attorney's Criminal Complaint Unit, 1425 Arch St. 4th Floor, Phila. Pa. 19102, is open Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.

What do I need to file a private criminal complaint?
Complainant MUST have accused's full name and address (home or work.) The Private Criminal Complaint (PCC) Unit has the same burden of proof as the police, so the complainant must be a witness or have a witness to the crime.

What types of cases does the private criminal complaint unit handle?
This Unit handles misdemeanor offenses. Victims of felony offenses such as Aggravated Assault or Burglary should make a report to the Police Department. Below is a list of common misdemeanors:

  • Simple Assault
  • Terroristic Threats
  • Harassment by Communication
  • Theft under $2000 (except motor vehicles and firearms)
  • Bad Checks
  • Stalking
  • Unlawful Restraint
  • False Imprisonment
  • Criminal Mischief
  • Defiant Trespass
  • Unauthorized Use of Auto
  • Contempt of Court Order (Violation of Orders)

What will happen after I go to the Private Criminal Complaint Unit?
If your complaint is approved for prosecution, you will file it with the Municipal Court upon payment of a $39.10 fee. You will receive a court date in the Criminal Justice Center in approximately four weeks. No additional witnesses or evidence is necessary at the first listing.