The photo above is the restored fountain, which was
originally powered by gravity fed water from the reservoir located
at Fair Mount (current location of the Art Museum). The pumps at the
Engine House (now the restaurant) pumped water to the reservoir for
the supply to the City of Philadelphia by gravity as well as the
fountain. The original method of pumping was run by steam engines,
later converted to water wheels and finally turbines.
The Fairmount Water Works dates from 1815 and is
a historic structure registered by the U.S. Secretary of the
Interior as a National Historic Landmark. It has also been
designated a National Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark
(American Society of Mechanical Engineers) and a National Historic
Civil Engineering Landmark (American Society of Civil Engineers). As
such, it is a very significant structure and building for the City
of Philadelphia as well as the nation. The photo below is from the Grand
opening of the South Garden Restoration and Central Cliffs project.
The Cliffs are the connection between the Philadelphia Museum of Art
and the Water Works Restaurant and Museum. The walkers are reminiscent of times past, of people strolling along
the newly restored paths at the Water Works South Garden.