Animal Care and Control Services
Our Animal Licensing program issues dog licenses/tags, responds to questions about license requirements, and manages a computer database to assist in the recovery of a lost dog.
Licensing your dog is the law. Need more reasons?
- Your dog’s license tag is his/her ticket home. If your dog ever gets loose, or is lost or stolen, our pet recovery database can identify and help to return your pet home safely.
- If your dog has a license, our Animal Care and Control Team (ACCT) is required to hold your pet at a shelter for at least five days while they try to contact you. If your dog does not have a license, we will have no way to reach you. Dogs without licenses may only be kept for 48 hours.
- Animal recovery service is available to pet owners in neighboring communities.
- License fees help to pay for Philadelphia’s humane law enforcement and animal control. This makes the city a better place to live for you and your pet.
- Remember! You must have a City of Philadelphia licensed tag. Other tags are not legal.
Dogs with licenses have been vaccinated against rabies. Vaccination helps to protect the health and safety of other dogs from rabies. Untreated rabies is 100% deadly in both animals and people.
- We issue free licenses for guide dogs and law enforcement dogs
- We offer reduced fees for dogs that have been altered (spayed or neutered). Altering your dog can help to reduce the number of stray and unwanted dogs on Philadelphia streets.
- We offer reduced license fees for senior citizens.
- We offer a permanent license option for tattooed micro-chipped dogs.
First time licensing?
Complete an application online
Questions about your application?
If your licensed pet is lost, has strayed, or is missing, please call: 215-683-LOST